2015 Hot Springs Grandee tripping breaker - Bad control board

heygreene

All, while I'm waiting on my Nordic to come in, I'm still looking around and found a 2015 HS Grandee with salt water system for $1200.  Here is the description of the issue it's having:

"It is tripping one of the breakers. With direction of hot springs tech support I removed the pumps and salt system from the control board and was still tripping. They said the control board was bad and needed to be replaced. You can hook power straight to pumps and heaters and make it run but it has the salt System and other features that need the control board. If you wanted to bypass the board and just have pumps and heaters that wouldn’t be too difficult to do either."

Does this sound accurate to you all?  If so, how much should this cost?  The guy said around $300 for the control board is what HS told him.  Is it worth it to take the risk?  He says it's been sitting for a year without water.

Thanks,
Heygreene

BS, BS, and more BS.

@castletonia, what is the price on that board? Can you imagine tech support suggesting that it can be made to work without the board, and therefore all safety components and temp controls?

If it sat without running for any period with temps below freezing it has freeze damage. Even if it was empty. If professionally winterized, it still has a fair chance to have freeze damage.

He is hoping to make some $ while dumping his problems onto someone else. Don't be that guy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

BS, BS, and more BS.

@castletonia, what is the price on that board? Can you imagine tech support suggesting that it can be made to work without the board, and therefore all safety components and temp controls?

If it sat without running for any period with temps below freezing it has freeze damage. Even if it was empty. If professionally winterized, it still has a fair chance to have freeze damage.

He is hoping to make some $ while dumping his problems onto someone else. Don't be that guy.

I think you are right... the more I talked to the guy the less it made sense.  He said it had failed last year... which is 2015, so parts should have been under warranty (he doesn't sound like original owner).  Also a quick google search of him found that he owns a spa/pool place nearby and has since 2015, and they even state that they do repairs... so that would imply they can't fix it?  I'm going to pass on it... thanks for your input.

• Like 1