High jets won't turn off

AshevilleSpa

Trying to get a tub going, once it is plugged in, the high jets turn on, their button illuminates on the control pad but you can't turn them off when pressing the button. I've tried replacing the topside control and motherboard but the problem persists.  Any ideas, could a bad pump or heater cause this?  Not positive on the model but think it is a leisure bay, lb70 board and balboa mini oval 4 button topside. Pump is an aqua flo flo-master 03510631-2, 115volt.  Thoughts?

On 1/28/2021 at 11:06 AM, RDspaguy said:

Yep. Both sensors. Also unplug the topside. It should run automated functions without it, so if the jets stop it's a bad topside.

Ran new board, topside, and thermostat, pump still running at full speed and not able to go lower.  In researching the pump, it seems to be one speed, could this be why?  It only has one pump, there's no second circulation pump. Was this a common setup for hot tubs?  I'm starting to think that maybe it had a variable pump and the previous owner replaced with a one speed.  Do any tubs out there just run at high speed all the time?  If this is a case I might try to get a variable speed pump.

4 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

I have only seen that type of setup in a jetted bath. Looking closer at the diagram it does show a single speed pump with no apparent 2 speed option.

But I'd think I should be able to at least turn the pump on or off with the button, which I can't do, I even played around with the jumpers on the board.  May try to pick up a two speed.  Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Are you sure you are wiring it correctly? Those relays have 2 spade connectors, and one will be hot all the time.

I had it on the relay spade as shown in the diagram but did try the other one just in case, good idea, still didn't work.  It did give me another idea, the ability to turn off the pump by button may be disabled due to the low water temp, 40s,  gonna let it run all day tommorow to see if it gets up to 70 or more and will then hopefully let me control the pump.  Having changed all the parts except for the motor, the water temperature is the one other variable that hasn't changed.  Thoughts?

Yes it is likely in freeze protection until it gets up above 60 degrees. A 110V spa with a 1KW heater can take up to 36+ hours to heat from 50 degrees to 100. A spa that heats with friction and pump heat like yours might take even longer if the outside temp is low. Always best to fill with some hot water if at all possible. The first 30 degrees from 50 up to 80 take the longest.

Kinda kicking myself for not realizing the freeze sensor (assuming that fixes it) before ordering all these replacement parts.  On a positive note, it forced me to get a better understanding of how exactly this hot tub works.  I think the thing that threw me off most is I didn't realize it was a one speed pump without a second circulation pump meaning it's either on or off and not maintaining the heat when it's off.  Seems dumb but it is a cheapo plug and play, ya get what you pay for.  I'll give you an update once the temperature gets up but it will take a long time because it's a friction heater (another type of hot tub part I didn't realize existed until I started researching this).  Thanks!