Why does tub drop temp so much between uses? (not air temp related)

I have an older CalSpa, single pump.  I have it set to 102 but it always drops to 88 or so between uses (over a 24 hour period or so) this time of year (average temps around 45).  When I go out to use it I turn the pump and heat on and it will move back up to 100 or so within 5 to 10 minutes ... but I wish it would not drop at all to start with.  I've looked over the users manual to see if it's some setting or whatever and cannot figure it out.  Any ideas?  TIA

45 minutes ago, tarheeltub7977 said:

will move back up to 100 or so within 5 to 10 minutes

Then it isn't losing that much in the tub, just the sensor is getting cold probably from lack of circulation. The best heaters will only get you about 8-10 degrees increase per hour. I'd guess your spa is in economy mode, which only allows it to run the pump and heater during filter cycles or when you press the button.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Then it isn't losing that much in the tub, just the sensor is getting cold probably from lack of circulation. The best heaters will only get you about 8-10 degrees increase per hour. I'd guess your spa is in economy mode, which only allows it to run the pump and heater during filter cycles or when you press the button.

yeah i was thinking the same thing (economy mode) ... it's an "applied computer controls" box and in the users manual i cannot find any way to shut economy mode off entirely ... i can only change the intervals between when it runs.  so if i'm thinking through this correctly, i need to max out the interval time so it runs economy mode as little as possible throughout the day, right?

Spa Will Not Hold Set Temperature –

Make sure you have the heating mode set properly. Many Cal Spas have 3 modes. Change these settings by pressing TEMP followed by LIGHT buttons. All 3 modes will rotate.

ST: Standard –

Spa will heat to set temperature, and maintain when heat is needed. This is the default setting.

EC: Economy –

Spa will heat ONLY during filtration settings. It will heat to the set temperature and the spa may cool down until the next filtration cycle. Heating will resume again in 12 hours.

SL: Sleep  –

Similar to EC mode, the spa will only heat during the filtration cycles of the spa. Sleep mode will only allow the spa to heat within 20 degrees of the set temperature.

There are 3 modes in a Cal Spa. (St) Standard, (Ec) Economy and (Sl) Sleep

You want it in Standard mode, so press the temp button and the light button within 3 seconds of one another and it will sequence to the next mode, repeat till you are in Standard mode.

In Ec it will only heat in filter cycle

In Sleep mode nothing works so do not use that. That mode is for cleaning and replacing filters

Hoping this helps you out 

11 minutes ago, Fingerstank said:

Spa Will Not Hold Set Temperature –

Make sure you have the heating mode set properly. Many Cal Spas have 3 modes. Change these settings by pressing TEMP followed by LIGHT buttons. All 3 modes will rotate.

ST: Standard –

Spa will heat to set temperature, and maintain when heat is needed. This is the default setting.

EC: Economy –

Spa will heat ONLY during filtration settings. It will heat to the set temperature and the spa may cool down until the next filtration cycle. Heating will resume again in 12 hours.

SL: Sleep  –

Similar to EC mode, the spa will only heat during the filtration cycles of the spa. Sleep mode will only allow the spa to heat within 20 degrees of the set temperature.

There are 3 modes in a Cal Spa. (St) Standard, (Ec) Economy and (Sl) Sleep

You want it in Standard mode, so press the temp button and the light button within 3 seconds of one another and it will sequence to the next mode, repeat till you are in Standard mode.

In Ec it will only heat in filter cycle

In Sleep mode nothing works so do not use that. That mode is for cleaning and replacing filters

Hoping this helps you out 

thanks, that's exactly what i want to do (put it in Standard mode) but it's not a Cal Spa control board ... it's Applied Computer Controls board and I cannot find a way to shut down Economy mode entirely.  

18 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

We posted at the same time. That system is doing exactly what it should, and your low temp reading is likely because of the sensor location and 3 hour circulation delay.

okay.  i believe my sensor is in the flow through tube (it was originally mounted on the inside of the tub with the original layout).  can i change the circulation delay to keep the temp higher?