New Pump Not Turning On

iamandrewx

I inherited a hot tub from the previous owner. I have replaced the heater (10/2020) and used it for a few months, then the pump/motor got loud (01/2021) so I purchased a direct replacement and swapped it out. I have 120 to each leg at the spa pack, 120 to each leg of the motor, common and h/l speed are wired correctly. I can hear the spa pack (03/2020) relay click when I pressed the pump #1 button on my keypad but the motor is not humming or trying to turn over. I also checked the run capacitor (didn't see a start cap) and it's ok as well.

My tub is currently errored out on the heater with NO FLO, which makes sense. The keypad shows the H/L speeds but the motor is doing NOTHING - no hum, no vibration. Is there anything I am missing or need to reset or did I get a bad motor?

Spa Pack: Gecko IN.XM2
https://www.geckodepot.com/Produit/ListeProduit.aspx?IdCat=781&IdSCat=10002302

Motor Assm: Waterway Exec 56 frame
https://waterwayparts.com/EXECUTIVE-4-HP-2-SPD-3721621-1D/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlq-F4I6e7gIV0b3ACh16EAJ4EAAYAiAAEgJnPfD_BwE

Keypad: Gecko IN.k450
http://www.geckoalliance.com/ns/pro/Products/ProductInfo/20/in.k450

What Country are you in? NA or Europe? There is a small 2 digit LED display on the front of the spa pack.. Are there any error codes or wrenches showing on it?

4 hours ago, iamandrewx said:

120 to each leg of the motor, common and h/l speed are wired correctly

To be clear you have power to the wire connections at the motor end?... but the pump won't run? Does it hummm? If it hummms There is a dust cover at the back of the motor and you will see the shaft of the motor has a slot in it. Try using a flat head and give it a quick turn and see if it starts with a bit of help. This is unlikely as pump is new

Here is a link to the manual See page 34 near bottom left of page " If pump is replaced a new learning routine must be performed" Then see page 15 for lower level programming. 

Manual Here: https://issuu.com/geckomkt/docs/inxm_techbook_en

Let us know results

20 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

What Country are you in? NA or Europe? There is a small 2 digit LED display on the front of the spa pack.. Are there any error codes or wrenches showing on it?

To be clear you have power to the wire connections at the motor end?... but the pump won't run? Does it hummm? If it hummms There is a dust cover at the back of the motor and you will see the shaft of the motor has a slot in it. Try using a flat head and give it a quick turn and see if it starts with a bit of help. This is unlikely as pump is new

Here is a link to the manual See page 34 near bottom left of page " If pump is replaced a new learning routine must be performed" Then see page 15 for lower level programming. 

Manual Here: https://issuu.com/geckomkt/docs/inxm_techbook_en

Let us know results

Located in USA. Only code showing on the spa pack is currently is "Heater - No Flow" (to be expected since the pump is not running). Motor is wired correctly and I am seeing 120 on white-black, white-red... however, i did just read that i actually need to measure black-red and see 240 across there. Not sure if that is factual or not, though. There's zero hum, cap is good, I have the two spa packs and both are good, and i have completed the learn twice on each spa pack.

i ran out of day light and it got cold last night during install - i am going to check the fuses tonight and meter from the disconnect to receptacle, receptacle to spa pack, spa pack to motor again just to be sure.

if the motor is flat dead, i should see a code correct?

Ok. 120v to ground or neutral "on each leg" means NOTHING on a 240v system. You could have lost one "leg" at the breaker and still get that. You should be testing "leg" to "leg" for 240v. 

The low voltage (control) side uses 120v, as it must to be 120/240v convertible, but if the equipment is 240v and you lost a "leg" (phase) it won't even try to work. There cannot be current flow with no continuity to phase, so it can't work. But the phase that does have continuity will give voltage to ground at both ends of the circuit with the load (pump, heater, etc) connected.

I suggest checking your voltages again, then check your fuses. Again, the white (neutral) and green (ground) are not part of a 240v test. Ever. Period. That applies to the fuses as well. Test across the fuse, with one lead of your tester on each side of the fuse, for 0v. Any voltage reading across a fuse is a bad fuse.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Is that on the topside display... What is on the spa pack display? Is green check mark lit or is there a wrench lit? RH NF error?

this was on the Spa Pack and top side - for anyone troubleshooting in the future that stumbles onto this thread. RN NF on the spa pack and FLO on the top-side controller. The spa pack had the RED WRENCH showing when the code was thrown. 

As stated above, the motor wasn't powered correctly due to blown fuse and has since been replaced. One the motor fired and started moving water over the heating element, errors cleared after a reset and i have a nice warm hot tub again.

• Like 2