Thank you everyone!

Was starting to stress fighting my hot tub water issues. Mainly PH rise. The PH down, aerate technique to beat down the TA really saved the day! Used a little 20 mule team borax and got the PH at 7.6 I haven’t had to adjust anything for 3 days and counting.  A new record for me. The water looks good, feels good, doesn’t smell. I think it’s fixed! Only thing is my TDS is getting up there at about 1200 ppm from all the mistakes I was making in the beginning. I hope I can get it right again after I dump the water before long. I’m not so trusting of asking the pool stores for help either. I already have a shelf full of chemicals. I don’t need anymore. I got a Taylor test kit. Wow. The test strips should be illegal. Sooo misleading and vague!  I wanted to iron this out myself. Reading thru a lot of theses conversations I’ve picked up a lot without having to poke anyone personally. So, there’s a lot of smart, experienced people here I’d like to say thanks so much for sharing your tips and tricks! Ed.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 4:15 AM, Edwardscizzorhands said:

Only thing is my TDS is getting up there at about 1200 ppm

TDS is a bogus measurement. It became popular by the manufacturers of stabilized chlorine products so they could have a 'scapegoat' for what was really an overstabilzied pool or spa without blaming cyanuric acid! If TDS really make a difference then all salt water systems would not work because the measured TDS of a salt system is going to be between 2000 to 6000 or higher PPM on a fresh fill and balance (depending on the recommended salt level for that system). The TDS is a measurement of all ionic species in the water such as calcium, sodium, chloride, bromide (for bromine systems), bicarbonate (TA) cyanurate (for chlorine), sulfate (from dry acid or MPS), borate, other metals such as iron or copper, etc that are present in the water. Most have no negative effect or are necessary. some (such as excess cyanurate/calcium/bicarbonate or metals such as copper/iron/manganese) are not desirable or detrimental. Bottom line, it's not the total dissolved ionic species in the water that matter but rather the levels of individual ionic species that can cause issues.

• Like 2