New Hot Tub Owner having

Slimy surface is usually bacterial and will not always product CC. From all the stuff the purges have removed I suspect that the spa was stores for a long time without being drained. You might want to consider nuking it with bleach. This means adding enough bleach to get your FC up to about 50 ppm (36 oz of 6% laundry bleach for a 350 gallon tub), leaving the spa uncovered, and circulating the water until the chlorine level drops below 10 ppm. Turn the heater down or off and don' use the spa until the chlorine level is below 10 ppm. You won't be able to test this level of chlorine with either FAS-DPD or with DPD, both will bleach out. You need an OTO test (K-1000). The OTO will be orange to red/brown at this high a chlorine level. Once it gives you a yellow color, even a deep yellow, the chlorine should be low enough to switch to FAS-DPD testing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

shocking to 10 times the cc to reach breakpoint is one of the fallacies still being taught to CPOs. Here is a quote that you might find interesting: "To oxidize monochloramine, it takes from 0.5

What test kit are you using?  I do it old school. I use only liquid chlorine amd I add CYA with stabilizer powder. Once you get 30cya just focus on FC levels. Ph down ahould bring it in range easily a

Hello DayDay1:  The purges you performed on your hot tub will now start paying you dividends.  The people that make postings on this forum are a godsend to new hot tub and pool owners.  You did the ri

Posted Images

I have already nuked it once but I only left it in there for two hours while running the pumps as many times as I could over that two hours. I am just going to keep doing Ah-some until no more **** comes out. However long that takes. Definitely a pain in the butt. 

8 minutes ago, dayday1 said:

have already nuked it once but I only left it in there for two hours while running the pumps as many times as I could over that two hours.

Then you haven't nuked it.

Okay I will nuke it tonight. I am still purging and still getting stuff. 

My pump doesn't run continuous as far as I can tell. So I can drop the temp to low but not sure how often it is going to run. Being new I really haven't had a chance to figure it all out. I have just been running purges it seems. 

Will it matter if I nuke it and it only runs so often??? I can go out and run it until I go to bed but thats about it. 

Also the stuff coming out is literally yellowish and sticky like dried honey. So I am thinking its biofilm above anything else and I am just eating layer by layer. Will nuking it help with that also? 

2 hours ago, dayday1 said:

My pump doesn't run continuous as far as I can tell. 

Do you have a filtration timer on your spa? You could just bump the filtration up too a 24 hr period.

Let it run until your under 10 ppm of Free Chlorine as @waterbear suggested.

Remember after getting that FC up that high on you Nuking the Tub keep your lid open not just half the lid but open the whole lid.  I have seen people shock with a partial lid open still can damage your cover even if it's only for a few minutes like that ( Obviously after several times )

21 minutes ago, Fingerstank said:

Do you have a filtration timer on your spa? You could just bump the filtration up too a 24 hr period.

Let it run until your under 10 ppm of Free Chlorine as @waterbear suggested.

Remember after getting that FC up that high on you Nuking the Tub keep your lid open not just half the lid but open the whole lid.  I have seen people shock with a partial lid open still can damage your cover even if it's only for a few minutes like that ( Obviously after several times )

Yes I can set the filtration to run 24 hours I suppose. I will have to look and see, thx and yes I aware about the cover being off. 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, waterbear said:

particularly for men who have more difficulty determining close shades of red than women, and

🤯

I have been locked out of this thread for some reason. Had to contact the webmaster to clear it up. Sorry I've been missing it. 

@waterbear, you need a hobby my friend.😉 😂

22 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

you need a hobby my friend

I have one, moderating this forum!! ;) Can't help it if I am a font of useless (and sometimes useful) facts. It's true that most  men cannot discriminate  between close shades of red as well as women can which is another reason that DPD testing is not as good as FAS-DPD  testing.

• Like 1