Hot tub heats up then drifts down to the 80's

Jawendel99

I have an LA Spa's year 2004 or so hot tub that, when it's cold outside will heat up to the max (104) degrees, and then after a day it drops down to around 80.  The only way I can get it to go back up is to shut off the power to the hot tub and turn it back on again.  Then it takes about half a day to warm up again before it gets up to temperature, then it's down to 80 again a day later.

Any ideas?

Have any repairs been done to it recently?

Does the pump run continuously when it has stopped heating?

Do you have a multimeter?

Test incoming voltage from the breaker when the spa is below set temp. Test red to black for 240v.

When the spa is below temp, before you would reset the breaker, disconnect the pressure switch wires from the board with some needle nose and see if the pump turns on. If so, plug it back in and see if the heater comes on. If so, replace the pressure switch.

Turn off power and unplug sensors. Take an ohm reading on each sensor. Post results.

The only options I have are "standby" or "econ" - when it's on "econ" it doesn't even get to temperature.  I haven't seen it drop below 80, but don't know if I've just caught it before then, or if that's where it settles.

I had both pumps replaced in the last year, but it was doing this last year too.  The pump does run constantly when it's stopped heating.

RDSpaguy - I do have a multimeter.  thanks for the things you mentioned to check.  I'll check those and report

thanks

Sorry, it's on "Standard" not "Standby" - my bad.

I checked the incoming voltage and it's at 236V with my cheap voltmeter - so we're good there

The pump is always running, so when I unplugged the pressure switch the pump continued to run as normal.  When I plugged it back in the heater didn't turn on.

I cut the power and pulled the sensor plugs but couldn't get an ohm reading on either one - either my probes are too big so it didn't go all the way into the plug, or there is no resistance (not an electrician, but I think that's how it works)

Ok, so I got the numbers.  They are both 17.6 on the 20K reading, so 17,600 ohms, correct?

Also, I checked the pressure switch again.  The heat light is on, even when it's not up to temperature.  When I unplug the pressure switch the heat light goes off.  When I plug it back in again the heat lamp goes back on.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had the chance to check it again.  I didn't get a voltage between the terminals (temp was down to 91 degrees in the tub).  When you say probably a burned out relay, I didn't see a relay in the wiring diagram.  Can I just replace a relay, or do I need to replace the whole circuit board?

Heater continuity was good.