2002 Sundance Cameo cirulation pump turning off and on

Brian T

Have not used tub in few weeks.  Opened and seen FLO error.  Pump is turning off and on every few seconds.  Pump works when on and flow switch seems to work the pump just not staying on.  There was a dead rat under tub but do not see any damage.   You can hear the relay switching off and on.

Not uncommon with the small Laing E10 Circulation pumps. Check voltage coming off circuit board going to the circulation pump if you get consistent power but pump is turning on/off. Replace circ pump just make sure you order correct voltage pump 115V or 230V depending on what you have now. Should be a white tag on circ pump that will tell you voltage.

Parts Manual here...page 221...: https://www.filtres-spa.com/site/medias/catalogue-pieces-spa-sundance.pdf

How to Video here: 

10 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Is the flo solid or alternating with the temperature?

I suspect it is solid and you have a faulty flow switch. 

Something telling the relay for the pump to constantly turn on and off.  I checked the flow switch and it OK.  The pump hardly stays on long enough to get water flowing. I have tech coming next week.  He said something about low voltage and could be the board.

Lets start back at the beginning... Remove filters and run without until the issue is fixed. Remove them from the equation. 

Next open up the main equipment panel and look at the 3/4" line that goes into the front or face of the circulation pump. It can help to use a flashlight and shine it through the 3/4" line and look for air bubbles. This is important to verify that there is no air in the wet end (see below). I will grab the line and shake it a bit to look for air bubbles. You might see it bubble back into the 3/4" line when the circ starts and stops.

Clipped from web: 

The Laing E10 Circ Pump is used on many spa/hot tubs and can be used to replace most brands of circulation pumps with 3/4 inch barbed fittings.This pump uses 40% less energy and runs 40% cooler than previous models. It also includes a smart "chip" in the motor that gradually increases rpm at power up that minimizes impeller cavitation and ensures "air lock" free startups. This cycle will repeat up to 10 times until "prime" is established. If prime is not established, the pump will shut down and require manual restart (turn power to spa off and back on).

Does it cut out after trying 10X?

When the circ pump starts and it closes the flow switch for a second does the heat light come on and then go the off when pump stops? Yes will tell you the flow switch is good. Also check for air bubbles in the flow switch housing.

Let us know results.

The filters have been removed.  I put the E10 in last time.  I can not see any bubbles in the line but for the couple seconds when it shoots water in the tub there are bubbles.  I had also used water hose yesterday to try squirt water in.  After ten times it keeps going.  The light comes on for a short time.

Man my hands frozen.  Got it winterized.  Will order new pump.  That thing only about 2 yo.  That really threw me hearing that relay and pump turning off and on about the same time and pumping good when it was on.   Thanks CanadianSpaTech.  Would prefer to have non-smart pump but guess order same one.

• 10 months later...

I had the exact same problem on my 2001 Sundance Capri.  I changed out he flow switch first but that didn't solve the problem.  After confirming the filter was clean, I checked to ensure that the pump was receiving constant power (it was) and then changed the circulator pump. I was hesitant to change the pump because I had replaced it just a few years ago.  The prior time I changed it because the bearings were clearly failing and it was easy to determine that it was bad.  Thanks for the advice on this thread!