Too Hot!

adamgoenner

I have an old Hot Tub that isn't controlling it's temp.  It will not stop heating and the temp will climb to 130*.   I am new to the Hot Tub world and am asking if anyone can help.  It's an older Hot Springs Spa, maybe 1988-1990?  There is a stamp under the filter cover that reads,  Prodigy  HP - 03758.  I am also looking for a book and the year it was made.  The Local Hot Springs dealer hasn't been helpful and I can't seem to find any info on line about it.   

Thank you in advance.

Adam

20210107_114857.jpg

Stuck thermostat or contactor. If your temp of 130 is accurate; contactor and high limits. If you consider yourself a mechanic and electrician I can walk you through the diagnosis and repair, but if you aren't sure what a multimeter is and you can't do your own brakes it's beyond your ability to fix yourself, call around for an old pro. That is a PITA control system just to get to, much less work on.

Also, those older parts can be quite pricey, and some may not even be available anymore, so now might be a good time to consider an upgrade.

6 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

6 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Stuck thermostat or contactor. If your temp of 130 is accurate; contactor and high limits. If you consider yourself a mechanic and electrician I can walk you through the diagnosis and repair, but if you aren't sure what a multimeter is and you can't do your own brakes it's beyond your ability to fix yourself, call around for an old pro. That is a PITA control system just to get to, much less work on.

Also, those older parts can be quite pricey, and some may not even be available anymore, so now might be a good time to consider an upgrade.

I looked at the box but its crammed up between the tub and outer wall.  Yes I can look at the contactor if I get the thing opened up.  Maybe on a warm day.  I will keep your offer in mind if I get stumped.  Thank you.

Yeah, those old ones have the box mounted behind the controls. You have to remove the control face, being sure to turn both knobs all the way one way or the other and remove slowly so the D-shaft adapters aren't dropped as you need to put them back on the same way. There are 2 screws in the control face, then 4 screws behind it that mount the box. Remove the light bulb before you drop the box or you'll struggle with it. Be careful you do not catch any knobs or buttons on the mounting bracket as you lower the box as they will break easily. Once down, you can open it up and turn on power to test, turning the thermostat D-shaft with pliers or by hand if you can. Post some pics of the control box innards so I know which one you have.

Afterwards you get to try to balance the heavy box on one hand while trying to start the mounting screws, which is more fun than you are allowed to have in this country.😉

If it has a circuit board in there, it is no longer available so be careful with it. Post pics.

• Like 1