Vintage CalSpa Air Buttons/Air Switches

Cusser

First of all, let me state that I E-mailed CalSpa directly about this, but they didn't respond within the "2 working days" promise.

Anyway, one of my three air buttons broke the other night, and I cannot blame Mrs. Cusser.  Also, currently my "air bubbler" (the 3rd button on the right) is not operating anymore, but we rarely use that function. Picture 2 shows the broken button.  Picture 3 is looking down the recess to show a rubber diaphragm of some type. An online parts place recommended a button (picture 7) https://spacare.com/LenGordon15ClassicAirButtonWhite.aspx  but no information whether that rubber diaphragm must come out (how?) and what's underneath it.

In the meantime, I drilled a small hole in the top button of my #3 button, threaded in a screw, and pulled the switch up and out; then I swapped that over to the #1 "jet" position, and that works.  I also built up and glued the broken button and inserted that into the #3 bubbler hole, but that still doesn't operate.

So just where is the "switch" part of the bubbler located?  Under the rubber diaphragm?  Does a replacement button come with a new rubber diaphragm, and are those essentially "universal"?  If the switch is under that diaphragm, does the switch come out readily for testing?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just cannot find appropriate information so calling on the experience of members here,  Thanks.

DSC08003.JPG

DSC08005.JPG

DSC08008.JPG

DSC08009.JPG

DSC08010.JPG

DSC08011.JPG

Spa air button.jpg

https://www.spapartsdepot.com/air-button-diaphragm-assembly-for-len-gordon-15-classic/

This is as close as you are likely to come to that old, proprietary button assembly. Cal hasn't responded because nobody there is old enough to remember them. 😉

Back then, 2 manfs made air buttons: Len-Gordon and PresAirtrol. I am pretty sure that is a len-gordon, so this diaphragm should fit. You may have to drill a hole in the bottom of the button well to let the new hose barb connection through.

If you remove the whole button plate, or mount them somewhere else entirely, you can use those new buttons SPP recommends. The link I listed is basically what is inside the button assembly they recommended.

Buttons create air pressure that activates an electrical switch in the control pack. This air pressure is run through a smal hose. Any damage to the hose that cause pressure to leak or blockage in the hose will keep it from working. You can test the air switch in the control box by removing the hose from the button and blowing into it. It should take no more pressure than blowing up a balloon to actuate the switch.

• Like 1