Kid Pooped In Hot Tub

Tubber99

Our young one had an accident in the hot tub tonight. Has never happened before. Relatively hard poop that stayed in her bathing suit with maybe 5 little thin floaties pulled out of the water. Bromine was around 7 ppm with an ozontator. Just shocked the hell out of it to spike the bromine up + cleaned the filter.

What are my next steps? Just drain it, vacuum out the jets, wipe everything down, and refill? Is that it, or on the flipside, is that even necessary if the bromine was high + is really high now and will be kept high for a while?

Thanks

That's just wrong. 🤨

Anyway...

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/aquatics-professionals/fecalresponse.html

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/pdf/formed-fecal-incident-guidelines.pdf

Open the "fecal incident response and hyperchlorination... " pull-down for details on decontamination processes for various contaminants. I leave it to you to decide if it was a "formed" fecal incident or not. 

The easy answer is: shock it to 30 ppm chlorine with liquid chlorine, run it for a day, and drain and refill. Wouldn't hurt to shock it again to 10 ppm with liquid before adding your sodium bromide.

@waterbear, wanna jump in here?

10 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

The easy answer is: shock it to 30 ppm chlorine with liquid chlorine, run it for a day, and drain and refill. Wouldn't hurt to shock it again to 10 ppm with liquid before adding your sodium bromide.

drain, clean the tub, filters, etc. as best as possible, refill and add liquid chlorine or bleach to 30 ppm and maintain it for about 18 hours. Because of the small volume of water in a tub compared to a pool this is usually the best way to do.  Let chlorine drop with tub uncovred until below 10 ppm, clean or replace filter, add sodium bromide or bromine tabs and re-balance water.

Also be aware that EVERY bather in the tub is adding fecal matter, urine, and sweat no matter how clean the THINK they are. Fun fact, Sweat and urine are almost identical in chemical composition The above instructions are probably overkill if the fecal accident was formed and you were able to remove all of it but if you want to err on the side of safety this is what to do since your tub is never really free of poop and pee if there are bathers in the tub!  My instructions are just a variation on RDspaguy's instructions and both are basically the same.@RDspaguy, I assume you are a CPO based on your answer.

FWIW, I used to work at a commercial setup at a resort condo that had a 60k gal adult pool, a 55k gal family pool that had a lot of fecal accidents, mostly from leaking swim diapers, 2 1000 gal adult hot tubs and a 1000 gal kiddie water feature splash area that also had a lot of fecal accidents. We just closed the area, cleaned as best we could, shocked to the proscribed CDC levels for the proscribed time, cleaned the filters (either cartridge or pit DE filters) and reopened the area when the chlorine was below 10 ppm so I've had a lot of experience with fecal accidents. (NO COMMENTS FROM ANYONE! REMEMBER I CAN BAN YOU FROM THE BOARD! ;) )

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PNW Soaker said:

MPS will take care of the "matter" portion of fecal matter, the super chlorination is for the pathogens.

If you are super-chlorinating then MPS is not necessary, MPS is an oxidizer. Chlorine is both an oxidizer and sanitizer and at the levels needed after a fecal accident it will more than take care of oxidizing any fecal matter in addition to the pathogens (which are also part of the fecal matter).

• Like 3