Balboa TP500 Controller and Pump Behaviour

andydb

Hi There,

New to this forum and to spa pool ownership. I purchased a spa pool direct from an online company in New Zealand who's customer service has been closed over Christmas and New Year. An electrician wired up my Spa for me and got it going. The spa is heating fine and retaining it's temperature fine. It has an ozone system but my water is quite cloudy despite me adding extra chlorine.

My expectation was that the circulation pump would go 24/7. It seems to go on and off through the day. I'd also set 2 filtering times of 1 hour each after seeing a video on YouTube of someone doing so with the TP500 system. The filter comes on at the programmed time but turns off after 2-3 minutes. Finally when I'm in the spa with the jets on they turn themselves off after 15 minutes or so.

Is all this normal behaviour? The manual that came with the spa is generic for all Balboa systems and is near useless. I do know from the company website my Spa has 1 circulation pump, 1 main pump, an ozone system and a 3kw heater.

If the behaviour of my spa is not normal how can I fix it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

14 hours ago, andydb said:

It has an ozone system but my water is quite cloudy despite me adding extra chlorine.

During the manufacturing process spas are wet tested. Often the testing water gets used over and over and then the spa is drained and it sits with a bit of remaining water that can go stagnate during shipping and install. It is not uncommon to do a "purge" of the plumbing in the spa using a line cleaner (Ahh-Some is best) to remove any contaminates left from manufacturing. Also you are likely using it more now than say you will 6 mths from now so you need to control the organic contaminates and remove them from the spa. Each time you use the spa anything attached to your body...body oil, shampoo, under are deodorant detergent in your bathing suits (Just rinse don't wash with regular load of laundry) will be left in the water. As the spa is new I recommend you use some spa shock and clean the filters every few days for the next few weeks until your use lessens a bit and you better learn how to maintain a healthy hot tub. There are some great water treatment "how to" threads here on this forum over in the Chemistry section. There is a short learning curve but once you get it down is gets easier and will save you money and headache going forward.

Finally when I'm in the spa with the jets on they turn themselves off after 15 minutes or so.

This is normal. Pumps will shut off after 15 mins.

My expectation was that the circulation pump would go 24/7. It seems to go on and off through the day. I'd also set 2 filtering times of 1 hour each after seeing a video on YouTube of someone doing so with the TP500 system. The filter comes on at the programmed time but turns off after 2-3 minutes.

Clipped from TP500 user manual:

Circulation Pump Modes.. If the system is equipped with a circ pump, it will be configured to work in one of three different ways: 1, The circ pump operates continuously (24 hours) with the exception of turning off for 30 minutes at a time when the water temperature reaches 3°F (1.5°C) above the set temperature (most likely to happen in very hot climates). 2, The circ pump stays on continuously, regardless of water temperature. 3, A programmable circ pump will come on when the system is checking temperature (polling), during filter cycles, during freeze conditions, or when another pump or blower is on. The specific Circulation Mode that is used has been determined by the Manufacturer and cannot be changed in the field.

TP500 is the topside control. For more information we would need to know what spa pack it it's paired with. 

Good Luck with your new spa. Enjoy

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

hello, i also had a BP7 spa pack with a TP500 installed to replace my old gecko spa pack.  Before the BP7 my spa ran with the circ pump 24 hours a day and the spa was quieter.  Now the main pump comes on periodically.  Can this set up be programmed to run the circ pump and not the jet pump as it was before?

4 hours ago, T Walker said:

hello, i also had a BP7 spa pack with a TP500 installed to replace my old gecko spa pack.  Before the BP7 my spa ran with the circ pump 24 hours a day and the spa was quieter.  Now the main pump comes on periodically.  Can this set up be programmed to run the circ pump and not the jet pump as it was before?

Start your own thread. Include pics of your circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area.