Spa Pump Low Speed Issues - not previously addressed

garwayne

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and looking for some direction on an issue that seems to be unique to what I've been able to find so far.

I have a waterway executive 56 3hp pump for my old Sundance spa. It sat for a while over the summer after a move and the motor shaft rusted and caused some problems. After replacing the seal, impeller and motor bearings, I have yet another problem - the low speed doesn't work unless you give it a bit of a spin. High speed works fine. This motor has a start winding vs the start capacitor. The starting switch in the motor operates properly (both mechanically and electrically). I have checked the resistance in the windings and I do not have a short or open in the start winding. And when testing the resistance and manually moving the switch you can see the start winding resistance drop out.

So, any ideas on what direction to go with this thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Waterway buys motors from motor manufacturers, they do not make them themselves. What brand of motor is it? Post a pic of the motor.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, garwayne said:

This motor has a start winding vs the start capacitor.

It also has a start capacitor, either on the side of the motor or under the rear cap, and that is most likely the problem. You will see a uf or mf rating, maybe even mfd, printed on the capacitor.

The switch works fine.  Keep in mind that switch drops the start winding out of the circuit, so if the switch was malfunctioning the motor would still start (unless it failed open).  But I've tested it and it works properly.  You can actually hear it click when the RPM's take off.