Help with bromine levels/oxidizer in hot tub

Sueberry

I'm new to owning a hot tub and wanted to see if anyone could help with some confusion I have regarding bromine tablets, and bromine concentrate. I recently refilled our hot tub and was told to add brominating concentrate (one step sanitizer and oxidizer) initially to start and then use bromine tablets in a floater. Then I was told to add 2 TBSP of the brominating concentrate weekly as maintenance along with the bromine tablets in the floater. When I did that my bromine stayed high for long periods. So, then I was told to only add the brominating concentrate if the bromine dropped to a low level with the use of the floater. But I also read that it's necessary to use an oxidizer weekly to properly sanitize the hot tub. I'm just confused. Can anyone please clarify this for me? Should I not be adding the brominating concentrate weekly unless bromine is low? If this is the case, do I need to add anything else to properly sanitize the hot tub?

Thank you RDspaguy...I looked through your links, but didn't find the answer to my queston exactly. I'm not having trouble with bromine levels dropping. My question is should I use Brominating Concentrate (the one I have is Spa guard and has sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione 82.5% and sodium bromide 14.7%) as weekly maintenance to destroy organic wastes? The back of the bottle refers to it as "super oxidization". I wasn't sure if I should be doing this weekly regardless of the bromine levels or just when the bromine level falls in the low range? I currently don't have another oxidizer just the one that has the bromide and oxidizer.

The tablets are very similar to the "oxidizer" in what they do, which is to activate bromine from bromide. They also add a bit of bromide to help maintain your "bank". If not using the floater you should add shock after each use. As long as your bromine level level is good you shouldn't need to shock, as this will result in an unwanted high bromine level.

@waterbear, @Cusser, anything to add?

Your bromine one step will be a combination of sodium bromide and dichlor. The tablets are 1-bromo-3-chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin. both of these are sources of bromide ions and a chlorine source to oxidize them. To shock you can either use chlorine (my suggestion is liquid chlorine laundry bleach or dichlor) or MPS. Laundry bleach (unscented, no thickeners or other additives) is your most economical choice. I would start with adding 1 oz and seeing how high your bromine level rises. You want to shock to above 10 ppm bromine(10-15 ppm is fine) Wait until the bromine is below 10 ppm before entering tub. Shock as needed. If the tub is getting daily use shock weekly. Inb an unused spa you should still shock monthly. Shock when the water looks dull or cloudy or has an off smell or algae growth.  You want to mainitain a bromine level of  4-6 ppm normally, do this by adjusting your floater open or closed. You should not need to add more of the one step granules unless you cannot maintain this bromine level with just the floater and shocking weekly to monthly.