Hot Tub - Circulation pump tripping breaker

chris7426

Hi,

I went to adjust the temperature on my hot tub this morning and will I opened the cover, the hut tub shut off, I found that the breaker was tripped and would not allow to be turned back on. I went through and disconnected each component(light, touch panel, pressure switch, heating element & circulation pump) and tried turning the breaker back on. It wasn't until I unplugged the circulation pump that the breaker stayed on.

This is a Cal Spa from 1999, it came with the house that I purchased 6 years ago and I have never replaced the pump on it so I am thinking that is what ultimately the problem is.

I was just looking to see if there is anything else I should check before I spend the money and get a new pump.

Just so we understand, a circulation pump is a small pump dedicated to the heater and ozone injection system, usually running 24/7. A 1999 CalSpa does not, to my knowledge, have a circulation pump. Just the 2 speed main pump. Is this the pump you mean?

When a breaker trips, depending on the reason, it can take it a while before you can reset it. Are you sure that timing isn't playing a role?

While the main pump can cause a breaker to trip, it is usually not the only sign that it is bad. Has it been making any strange noises or leaking?

The most common causes of a breaker that trips and will not reset is the heater and ozonator.

Post a pic of your equipment area, circuit board, and wiring diagram.

Fair enough, that just shows my limited knowledge of Hot Tubs. Yes, it is the main pump.

No, it hasn't been making any strange noises or leaking. There is generally always a little bit of water in the bottom because the original owners built the deck around it so this time of year with the snow/rain, water is always dripping down it.

I will get a couple pictures and post it.

Sounds like a bad pump motor to me, or water leaking onto the pump motor causing a ground fault.

I have a 1988 CalSpa and original pump/motor (once I replaced its leaky pump seal, like 2 decades ago).  If mine, after unplugging the pump, I'd use a digital ohmmeter on the male plug itself and see if any of the prongs (other than the grounding prong) have continuity to the pump metal case.

33 minutes ago, Cusser said:

I'd use a digital ohmmeter on the male plug itself and see if any of the prongs (other than the grounding prong) have continuity to the pump metal case.

The pump has a centrifugal switch that changes the wiring that the pump is using once it has started, from the start windings to the run windings. You cannot test that from the plug, so that test may not reveal a problem that does in fact exist. Toss in a capacitor draining power from your tester while you are testing and you have a great chance of being absolutely wrong with your results.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, RDspaguy said:

Just so we understand, a circulation pump is a small pump dedicated to the heater and ozone injection system, usually running 24/7. A 1999 CalSpa does not, to my knowledge, have a circulation pump. Just the 2 speed main pump. Is this the pump you mean?

When a breaker trips, depending on the reason, it can take it a while before you can reset it. Are you sure that timing isn't playing a role?

While the main pump can cause a breaker to trip, it is usually not the only sign that it is bad. Has it been making any strange noises or leaking?

The most common causes of a breaker that trips and will not reset is the heater and ozonator.

Post a pic of your equipment area, circuit board, and wiring diagram.

Sorry it took so long, we had a snowstorm and I couldn't get to it. My deck is built around the hot tub so I have to go under the deck to get to everything. Upon looking at this, it looks like it is dripping water onto the pump.

PXL_20201222_171826854.thumb.jpg.4837b4065a432eef1f071ec63568e996.jpgPXL_20201222_171835079.thumb.jpg.b529c6ec98f6db1c1cc4e401bd0c30fe.jpgPXL_20201222_171835079.thumb.jpg.b529c6ec98f6db1c1cc4e401bd0c30fe.jpg

From the "splash" marks on the grey plastic in behind the pump it looks like the shaft seal has failed and is leaking. When the pump is running the water will get sucked into the front of the motor causing it to trip. It is usually repairable with a new seal and impeller...I normally do the front bearing as well. 

The second thing I see is where the pump wire connects to the side of the spa pack looks burnt and may have shorted out.  You will need to disconnect it from the pack and get a better look at what has caused the burnt area and the extent of the damage to the wires. If those wires are fried inside the white connector I would remove the white male clip and add spade connectors to the wires and attach them directly to the circuit board bypassing the male female connectors. 

• Like 1