Above ground pool pump motor

Cusser

My 3/4 hp above ground pool pump motor has been screeching when on, for a few months now, so likely its bearings are shot.  This is a pump/motor from Doheny (#2601), and rough quote from electric motor repair shop is $70 to $100 depending on all that's wrong, and assume that would include a new pump seal too.  Might take a couple of days to repair, and place is cross-town. Of course, if parts need to be ordered, more time required.  Plus Christmas/New Years holidays.  And would need to rig up a way to prevent water from leaking out, a rubber stopper in the skimmer hole would NOT seal that completely.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards just purchasing a brand-new pump/motor for $148 shipped and having a much simplified "ordeal", and keeping my old stuff in case I can find/replace bearings myself someday, have a spare pump/basket, or use as a core for a local fix someday.  So do you folks agree that a new pump/motor for $148 makes sense???  Thanks.  Also posting in the Spa Forum.

Yep. I personally don't offer a rebuild service on pump motors. I worked for a shop that did and have rebuilt more than I can count, and not one went back to the owner with a warranty. There is a reason for that.

But I would recommend a known, industry standard brand of motor, such as Magnetek, US Motor, or A.O.Smith. 

I was able to find a replacement motor for $90 + $10 shipping/handling.  Of course I'd likely need/want to replace the pump seal and likely pump housing gaskets too, so I decided to just purchase the entire pump/motor for $148 shipped. 

I'll disassemble the old one afterwards and likely keep that as spare parts for a future repair.

• Like 1

OK, replaced the pump/motor assembly yesterday.  Unfortunately the included instructions were quite inadequate, and the motor mounted to my pump/filter base using securing nuts underneath instead of captive nuts.

My own instructions for this:

Unplug motor. Turn filter to CL Closed position. Insert rubber stoppers into skimmer hole and return jet. Disconnect inlet hose to pool, and loosen a little the big plastic nut on top of the pump. Pry up north end of the filter/pump base, insert a block of wood to allow access to underneath.  Use 14mm combination wrench underneath on the securing nuts, and use wobble extension and 14mm socket to remove 4 mounting bolts. Disconnect nut and top hose of the pump.  Pull the motor away, use flat blade screwdriver to loosen clamp on grounding wire.  Swap over the plastic hose barb for the pump inlet, using PTFE tape, no plumber's dope. Install new unit by reversing the steps, and use never-seize lubricant on the bolt threads. Use pool lube on the inlet hose ends when reconnecting to skimmer and to pump inlet fitting. Use a new O-ring on the top fitting on the pump, and use pool lube on that. Use pool lube on the O-ring for the basket cover.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, RDspaguy said:

Pictures, or it didn't happen!😉

Oh, it did happen.  I did partially disassemble the noisy motor, decided that replacing the bearings would beyond my pay scale.  However I did spray some aerosol grease (CRC brand, with plastic tube) on both the bearings while turning by hand, and that seemed to help some, so keeping as a spare.  It did look like its pump seal had been leaking a tad, but not sure that caused the front motor bearing to go out.

41FHKXqVIZL.jpg

This is the only photo I have with the old pump cover off.  I disconnected two push-on wire connectors and removed four hex head screws to remove this plate, and then the rear bearing was visible and accessible.  I didn't take any more photos, just lubed the bearings a bit using aerosol white grease.

Mrs. Cusser says most "better" photos are for me only.  But since this is a pool forum:

DSC07976.JPG

Martha at La Posada Resort.jpg

Behind that rear bearing there is a round plastic circle, usually brown, that is your centrifugal switch, that switches from the start coil to the run once the shaft is spinning. That switch has a wishbone arm that touches it and operates the electrical start switch. Carefully remove the wishbone to avoid damage. Then you can pull the whole rotor out of the motor by the threaded end of the shaft. There is likely a screw on the front of the motor near the shaft that holds the retaining clip on the front plate bearing. Loosen this and rotate the clip to release the front plate from the bearing.  

Pull both bearings with a puller, wire brush the shaft and plates as needed, and drive on the new bearings with a piece of pipe or such. Reassemble, and don't forget the wavy washers by the bearing.