Great Lakes Spa- Temperature issue

jdw1222

I replaced some parts recently (board, pump and control) and since I feel as if my tub isn't consistent with temperature

I used to be able to leave it in economy mode and it would never have an issue maintaining 101-102 temps.  

Now in economy mode it will display 101 temp but the spa is actually much cooler and is @ 97 or so.  

Is there a temp sensor that could be faulty or should I look elsewhere? 

Try removing the filters for a couple of days. If you have dirty filter it can slow the flow of water going through the heater just enough that the sensors pick up a higher temp at the sensor than the actual water in the spa. Next you will likely get a OH or LF or HL error as they get dirtier and the water slows even more.  

How old are the filters and when was the last time you cleaned them using a filter wash solution. How often do you clean them? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Try removing the filters for a couple of days

Lets start back at the beginning

new used just cleaned or otherwise. Leave them out until the issue is fixed.

Check your filter cycle duration. If set to run longer than 2 hours out of 12 it will run way to much.

You just replaced the board... post photos of the board and schematic on the inside cover. 

• Like 1

Yes there is some oxidization there. One of the areas I always check when a spa is having trouble maintaining heat is if both sides are getting power. Sometimes if there is a burnt relay it will only get power to one side and in essence only run on 110V. It will heat some but will have hard time keeping up and will usually hover around the low 90's...and might explain why the spa is always running.

Need to know if as the OP states the actual water temp is different than what the topside reads. Then we can look at flow issues or sensor issues. See what removing the filters does and go from there. 

A burned relay will allow one leg to be hot to the heater, so you still test voltage to ground on both terminals, but there can be no current flow with no continuous circuit. No current flow=no heat. But a pump running continuously because the heater isn't bringing it up to temp will heat it up to around 90ish, depending on a few factors. But a burned out relay does not become a neutral connection.

If the relay contacts are badly worn and making a poor connection but have not burned out yet you can get a significant voltage drop across the relay, which will reduce the heater voltage and therefore output but will be heating up the relay instead. They don't last long if that voltage drop is significant, as the solder points melt then arc and burn.

• Like 1

Ok, maybe your on to something with heater.    earlier this year the hot tub was ruined in a flood.  it was submerged underwater for a few hours (about as high as the heater was under water)   I replaced the pump, control panel and topside.  I left heater as i though it was ok.  It is coming up to temp now  on the STD setting but appears to almost always be running