Replaced Main Board in Caldera Martinique, Pump 2 won't run

Marc C

To fix a bogus heater limit error I finally replaced the Main PC board (Caldera #77089) on my 2004 Caldera Paradise Martinique, after having exhausted all other avenues--including replacing the heater unit.

Finally, no more heater limit shutting down the heater (yay!).

However, while Pump 1 can be started and run, Pump 2 does not start when the button on the Display panel is pressed. Pump 2 did work fine before replacing the board, and connecting the Pump 2 wires to the Pump 1 board tabs as a test proved that Pump 2 does still work.

(There is a note associated with the 77089 board that "On 2002 and 2003 Models we reccomend [sic] you also replace Top Side Control on some models the old topside will not be compatible with the new board." The Martinique was introduced in 2004, so that should not apply to this.)

Per the document that came with the 77089, jumpers JP1 and JP9 were set.

Voltages were checked on the Pump tabs, showing 245V on Pump 1 (BLK->WHT) while it was operating with 116V going to ground on both the Pump 1 and Pump 2 BLK->GRN tabs.

Checking the Pump 2 tab voltage never budged from Zero when pressing the Pump 2 button--not even for a moment.

I've repeatedly tried to contact the company that sold me the board, and Caldera, and have gotten no response.

So now I'm trying to determine whether I've got a (slightly) bad board, since all its other functions seem to be fine; or if there's another jumper somewhere that needs to be set; of if there's some other connection or whatever that needs to be done. The 77089 board is sold as a replacement for "all 2002-2008 Caldera Utopia and paradise Models," but it is not identical to the board it replaces. Other than a different JPx jumper setting though (where I followed the board's docs), everything on the old board corresponded to the new.

Thanks for any advice or assistance, and please correct me if I appear to be misunderstanding anything. Plus I'll be happy to follow any diagnostics advice.

I put together an illustrated summary about this...

I installed a Caldera Spa Parts #77089 Main board, as its page states that "This factory replacement motherboard is for all Advent Control Boxes (#73181 ) found on all 2002-2008 Caldera Utopia and paradise Models." As I have a 2004 Caldera Paradise Martinique, I took it that this was the replacement board I needed.

77089ID.thumb.jpg.4a6e48acbb81bf4ac295482bced70c48.jpg

Installed (Jet Pump 2 is currently disconnected). Scroll down for closeup of jumpers.

77089.thumb.jpg.627c6d2ac6598d44d04a885b87352424.jpg

Jumper Configuration documentation:

77089JumpersClipped.thumb.jpg.fb949148854b4c58dde5698739bc4361.jpg

As set:

77089JP1-9.jpg.def0c0bb0fe8cd513b75bb6cae227a15.jpg

Whatever y'all need, I will get for you.

The jumpers in the above diagram match what was given in the 77089's accompanying docs, i.e. JP1 and JP9, and that's what I have set.

My Martinique's serial number is MRA4F1153.

As I was wrong about the year of the Martinique's introduction,  how is the manufacturing year encoded in the serial number?

If this turns out to be a 2002 or 2003, it would look like my next step would be the replace the display controller, since it's known that period's topside controller might not be compatible. Yes?

I just checked, its a 2004.  Since I can just input the serial number in my service portal I've never actually learned how to decode the serial numbers.  I'm not a service tech so I'm not the best at technical stuff.  My guess is that its a bad board but without you troubleshooting either with Caldera tech support or a competent service tech I couldn't confirm.  Caldera tech support is working remotely so you'll need a bit of patience if calling them.  They are also on Pacific time.

• Like 1

No, there's no indicator when Jet 2 is pushed (there is for Jet 1).

I had a meter on the Pump 2 tabs while pushing the button and nothing happens, not even for an instant.

When Pump 1 is on there is 116V on BLK->GRN tabs on both Pump 1 and Pump 2.

Wires all look good, and jet pump control was all working fine before I replaced the board.