2006 Prodigy Hot Springs Jets only cause 20 amp gfci to trip after 10 seconds.

Iraqvet89

I got the 2006 Prodigy for free and the guy claimed all was working (I know enough to never assume that is true). I ran 6/3 wire from my 50amp breaker to a sub panel with the 30 amp gfci and the 20 amp gfci. I then wired everything up accordingly with the wiring diagram and The heater works perfect its even sitting at 104 after just 6 hours. Light works great as well. If I hit the Jets button or clean button the pump turns on but nothing happens and then it trips around 5 to 10 seconds. I figured I may have a air lock but tried the plunger trick as well as the hose in the gray filter trick but nothing. 

2 hours ago, Iraqvet89 said:

pump turns on but nothing happens

Please elborate...

tried the plunger trick

I am not sure who came up with that idiocy, but it is a horrible idea. 

hose in the gray filter trick

The gray filter standpipe is to the circulation pump, not the jet pump.

Loosen the large white nut on the front of the pump just slightly and turn on pump. If it is an airlock this will clear it.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, RDspaguy said:

And thank you for your service.

well I ended up draining it and clearing all hoses and refilling it. Now the jet pump wont turn on at all. The light on the panel says jets on and red light at p19 on the circuit board turns on. My question now would be am I able to plug the pump onto Jet pump 2 on the board? if not I'm going to take the relay off and solder a new one on. Second question would be am I able to hard wire 120v from an outlet to the pump just to see if the pump still works, this would be temporary just to see that its worth replacing the 18v relay.

And no problem for my service it was an honor to serve and I'm 90% disabled from an IED over there but in the long run I now get a nice check every month so no complaints.  

If your 20 amp breaker is a single, 120v breaker then your pump is 120v, if it's a double then it's 240v.

Does the motor make any noise? Can you hear a click when you press the button?

If your control has a jet 2 button, you can switch the wires to test jet 1.

Do you have a multimeter? Test for voltage to pump 1.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, Iraqvet89 said:

I ran 6/3 wire from my 50amp breaker to a sub panel with the 30 amp gfci and the 20 amp gfci.

Question - did you take the subpanel from the previous owner or buy a new one?   I'm fairly certain Hotspring Spas require a special subpanel and not a generic one:

https://azhottubco.com/product/estore/parts/watkins-gfci-50-amp-subpanel-convertible-spas-pn-301756-hotspring/

If you're using a standard subpanel that might be the issue, I don't think you can use a standard hottub subpanel with hotspring tubs.