Intex inflatable PureSpa E-90 Code

HOGMAN

We have an inflatable Intex PureSpa. We will turn on the unit and it will shut off within 10 seconds flashing E-90 code on display screen. The instruction manual calls for us to replace the filters, we replaced filters and the machine still will not operate and keeps flashing code and turning off completely. Any ideas of what this could be? 

• 11 months later...

so i've been doing the e-90 dance for awhile now.

i am not sure what the issue is with these filters, but there does appear to be something that causes restricted water flow and results in the e-90. try removing completely the filters and housings and run without them. that is what i am doing now, and although they say not to do that because it can gunk up the pump, i don't coat myself with mud and dirt and hop into the spa so my water stays pretty clean (i.e. i'm not worried about it). i will put the filters back on at some point, and then when e-90 happens again, i'll take them off.

the other e-90 scenario is if the pump itself actually fails. mine worked fine for the first two years i had it and then the pump failed. if that is what is going on, you'll hear the pump get steadily noisier as time goes on letting you know that's likely headed your way. what happens is the flimsy ceramic shaft that the pump impeller spins on breaks and you either need to replace the shaft or get a new pump assembly (you can order these from intex). there is a youtube video out there that shows how you can make a replacement shaft out of 1/8" od brass rod (i get mine from ace hardware. you can also try carbon fiber rod you can get online from craft supply places; whatever you use MUST be non-magnetic). you cut it to size (hopefully you get the broken one out in two pieces so you can measure it), deburr the ends disassemble the pump to get at the impeller and shaft (be careful of those little washers - you want to reuse those). replace the busted ceramic p.o.s. with your new brass one, put it all back together and you're back in business. entire process including fabricating the new shaft (tip: make a few of them) takes about 1.5 hours if you're taking your time.

here's a couple of the videos for reference.

20211031_133535_resized.jpg