Filter Suction Issue - Vortex/Whirlpool

Tubber99

When my pump is on low speed, the filter creates a weak vortex/whirpool above the weir/basket; on high speed, the vortex/whirlpool makes it through the weir all the way down to the basket, causing the filter and pump to take in small amounts of air. I've confirmed there is no debris in the basket and no debris in the filter or weir. Weir is being sucked all the way down properly. When I remove the weir, the vortex is still there, but again, not strong enough for it to reach the bottom/to put air into the system. I've ensured my water level is correct based on the manufacturers instructions + this was tested when I was in the spa so the water was even higher (it happens regardless of whether nobody is in, 1 person is in, or 2+ people are in). It's almost like the weir is designed to narrowly and/or the filter is sucking too hard. I've tested it with opening/closing every air valve and jet in different ways with no success. Filter is from factory. Tub is 2 weeks old.

I've emailed the manufacturer. Has anyone heard of this before? It's noisy and I highly doubt adding air down the filter into the pump is doing any good. I can't simply remove the weir, as it clips in and holds the basket + filter in place when the pump is not on. Temporarily I can do this when the pump is on high speed, but that's beside the point. Again, the water level is sufficient. My friend has the exact same hot tub and his does not do this.

1 hour ago, jimmythegreek said:

How many low drains do you have in the footwells?  Usually the suction is split between drains and skimmer.  If yours is pulling mostly from skimmer you have inadequate draw from the bottom.  Could be a clog or debris, or depending on the tub could be check valve or diverter

There are 3 - pump 1 pulls through the skimmer and pump 2 pulls through the 3 suction blocks at the bottom. As far as I know, pump 1 only pulls through the skimmer/filter.

30 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Filter bypass check valve would be my guess. If it's new it's the dealers problem, not yours.

Any idea how I can check that? Google makes it sound like it is supposed to be under the filter? Tub is currently full. Tried to find info, but I'm coming up short. Maybe it was missed at the factory or installed incorrectly.

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

I have seen them installed backwards. Every spa brands plumbing is different. Some filters have a bypass built in, others it's plumbed in. Either way, it can be installed wrong or just be a faulty part. It happens sometimes.

Any way I can check this relatively easily?