Bromine Startup Without Sodium Bromide

Hello - looking for assistance converting a 450Gal tub from chlorine to bromine. I have been unable to find sodium bromide up here in Canada to create the initial bromine bank. I do have bromine tablets, floater, and brominating granules (15% bromine / dichlor). What are my best options? I have read conflicting advice on crushing up tablets OR perhaps using the bromine tabs in a floater for a couple weeks while the bank slowly builds up. Looking for input. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, ProjectReefBlue said:

Hello - looking for assistance converting a 450Gal tub from chlorine to bromine. I have been unable to find sodium bromide up here in Canada to create the initial bromine bank. I do have bromine tablets, floater, and brominating granules (15% bromine / dichlor). What are my best options? I have read conflicting advice on crushing up tablets OR perhaps using the bromine tabs in a floater for a couple weeks while the bank slowly builds up. Looking for input. Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any way to establish a bromide bank without sodium bromide.

@Cusser, @waterbear , @dlleno, any advice?

If you start using either the tablets or the granular mix you will eventually build up a bromide reserve. Until you do you will have a chlorine spa. I personally would use the granular product since it will most likely be a mix of sodium bromide and a chlorine source. The tablets are an organic form of bromine along with chlorine and will also build up a bromine reserve in the water and crushing and dissolving a few certainly is also a way to go. Either way, just keep your sanitizer at an appropriate level for bromine and let time take care of the transition. It will be invisible to you.

So if you want to convert to bromine just stop adding chlorine and start adding your bromine sanitizer. Done deal!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...