sundance heater leaking

contact634

my 2001 sundance altamar heater is leaking   it is leaking at the seam  where the two halfs are screwed together  in between is a gasket (I saw this on youtube)  I tightened the 12 or so screws and the leak stopped for a few days but now its back  the heater is expensive  so  I was wondering if i took it apart and used silicone  on the gasket and reassembled if this would work and last?

if a silicone would work  which one?

the heater works fine  just leaks

3 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

There should be no way for it to leak there. If there is a leak there is a problem that needs to be addressed. 

if I open it up what do I seal it with  there is  a rectangle rubber gasket  that's not available    I'm going to pull the heater tomorrow  I have to run out and get some 3/4 inch bolts to plug the lines with as I don't want to drain the tub

what should i be looking for besides cracks  I will open it and take a few pics  hoping tomorrow 

the heater ONLY leaks when the pump is on high speed  it doesn't leak on low or when the recir pump is only running

12 hours ago, contact634 said:

I was wondering if i took it apart and used silicone  on the gasket and reassembled if this would work and last?

if a silicone would work  which one?

12 hours ago, contact634 said:

if I open it up what do I seal it with  there is  a rectangle rubber gasket  that's not available   

the heater ONLY leaks when the pump is on high speed  it doesn't leak on low or when the recir pump is only running

In your case, I would coat the original gasket with sealant from the auto parts store that states to use for cooling systems, thermostat outlets, etc., and then assemble.

• Like 2

I took heater apart today   removed gasket   applied permatex the right stuff in place of oring and around each screw hole  assembled and tried leaked worse then before

took it apart again cleaned off permatex re installed oring  reassembled  ran it for 2 hours NOT a drop  so i got in tub  after 15 mins or so its leaking again

any ideas here   it started leaking AFTER  I installed an ozone generator  I installed an injector just a generic one  perhaps its reduced  the water flow enough  to cause heater to leak?  heater only leaks when pump is on second speed  its fine on low speed 

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Did not know you could access the heater side thought it was a sealed unit. Now I know. THX

I didn't know it opened either until it started leaking  now I'm an expert and taking it in and out.....

there are no serviceable parts and sundance wont sell the element or gasket alone

• 2 years later...