Winter - Best Practices

dashmer

Hello,

Although this is my first post, I have been using this forum for information and education for some time. Thanks to all of the members for sharing information.

I ordered our first hot tub in July 2020 that we are expecting to receive sometime this winter.  I have been looking online for information on how best to use it in the winter, but I have not found what I was looking for.  Lots of articles on covers and water levels, etc.  What I really want to know is what the experienced hot tubers do in freezing conditions.  Do you go out while dressed for winter and take the cover off, test the water, etc. before going to the tub in your swim suit?  When you get out do you run inside, get dried and dressed before going back out to add chemicals and re-covering?  Any advise on what the best practices are would be helpful.

Thanks.

Not that I live in the coldest climate, but we bring our bathrobes out to the tub. Tub is close to the house so it's not that far of a sprint lol.

The only thing I add is a teaspoon of dichlor56 pellets to my tub after each soak.  So I simply bought a sugar dispenser with a spring loaded trigger - one click is enough chlorine for our 30 minute soak. Takes me all of 10 seconds to dispense chlorine, hit the clean button, close the lid then run inside the house lol.

I know some people build a DIY hotbox for their towels/robes using a large cooler and a heating mat, but I don't need that for my climate

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ratchett said:

Takes me all of 10 seconds to dispense chlorine, hit the clean button, close the lid then run inside the house lol.

Leave the lid open for 30 minutes to release chemical fumes and prolong cover life.

In my experience, if your spa is more than 20ft or so from your door you won't use it in winter.

• Like 1

I go out in swimsuit and flip flops.  It’s about 30’ and takes me about 15 seconds to get from the door to being in the hot tub.  When I get out I cover the hot tub and walk back inside.  

I have the inline frog system so I don’t add anything after each use.  When I do add chemicals on a weekly basis, I do leave the cover open for 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

Test the water once a week. When you get out there open it up...does it look clean and clear does it smell clean if yes good to go. Clean filters weekly- bi weekly at the most if they are paper pleated filters. Cleaner the filters the cleaner the water. If you feel you need to add chems the next morning is fine if you don't feel like going back out.

If you don't have a cover lifter get one. I open half the cover get in and then flip it open all the way. Same when getting out.

Swimsuits are for pools...lol. But if you do wear one don't wash it with the regular load of laundry (it will pick up detergent and add to foaming) just rinse it. 

Pro Tip From Canada:

If you have to go more than a few steps to be in your spa...place robe or towel in dryer for a few mins and get it nice and warm. Keep a pop cooler at the back door and take it out with you when you go out. Place your robe/towel and anything else you want to keep warm and dry inside the cooler. Then when you get out you have a nice warm robe to get you back inside. Enjoy 

• Like 2