Spa water fumes makes me cough when jets turned on

wpatters1229

I have a Sundance spa and use the 3 bottles of liquid chemicals since I first bought the spa 15 years ago.  The past few years we have been fighting fumes that make you cough when we turn on the jets.  The fumes that comes off the top of the water makes us cough like it was an acid or something.  Nothing has changed but maybe our city water.  This happens even after a fresh water change.  I always seem to have trouble using those ph testing devices.  

Any idea what would be the thing to check?  Too much acid?  PH wrong?  

The three Leisure Time chemicals; Control #1, Leisure Time Boost Shock #2, Leisure Time Free Sanitizer #3.  They used to be Baqua Spa.  Always seemed fine but I think our city water has changed...maybe more chlorine.  I have a setup where you put chemicals in viles and get the readings.  Will have to attempt a reading.  Right now I need to get the spa to heat again.  After tapping on the relays the OH error went away but it is not getting hot anymore.  I think I might be looking at having to buy a board.  I am messing with the relays...I was even thinking of drilling a small hole in the top of the relay case and spraying contact clearing inside...what the hell it might even work!!

Any electronics repair shop can fix it. Probably less than $100, unless you have them replace all of the relays.

Yeah, I really don't know much about biguanicide. I have personally never met anyone, in 25 years in this business, who likes the stuff. I would love to hear your experiences with it, as you obviously haven't had the troubles most people do or you wouldn't have used it so long.

@waterbear,are you familiar with biguanicide?

5 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Any electronics repair shop can fix it. Probably less than $100, unless you have them replace all of the relays.

Yeah, I really don't know much about biguanicide. I have personally never met anyone, in 25 years in this business, who likes the stuff. I would love to hear your experiences with it, as you obviously haven't had the troubles most people do or you wouldn't have used it so long.

@waterbear,are you familiar with biguanicide?

I am open to alternative ways to treat the water.  This has worked for many years but things change.  I just replaced all the water and the first thing I noticed was the fumes that made me cough.  We have a Leslie supply close to us that lets you bring in your water sample for a free test.  I have been told I need more acid to just the opposite.  Your thoughts as you have much more experience.  I have been communicating with you on this relay thing too.  Have fix that first.  I will update that stream with my latest findings and then look to you for your advice on this chemistry.

Yes...always my weak point at best.  Chemistry is a mystery.  We used to always say, If it is not broke don't fix it!  When I was an IBM engineer we used to say that...or the comment that we had to leave and go get a bigger hammer!!  Trying to figure out chemicals is not my thing!!  I like nuts and bolts or electricity...something that is physical.  Software can also sometimes fall into the mystery zone.  I started back in the 60's when computers had tons of reed relays and yellow wiring for programming.  Now if it fails you just throw it away...ugh not my style.  @waterbear where are you??

• 2 weeks later...

Very familiar with biguanide sanitizers which is why I avoid them . Biguanide systems (SoftSoak, BaquaSpa, etc.) use a strong peroxide oxidizer and it can cause the coughing described. It's one of the drawbacks of biguanide and one of the reasons I do not like it. Leisure Time Boost Shock is hydrogen peroxide and is probably 35% or higher which is the most common concentration used as a biguanide shock

On 10/26/2020 at 6:25 PM, wpatters1229 said:

Software can also sometimes fall into the mystery zone. 

Not for me, was a programmer back in the day(70s and 80s) and also did some hardware design at one place I worked in the 70s. First computer I used  was a system 360 in college and I was learning Fortran IV level G on punch cards. I was  majoring in chemistry and taking programming courses for fun electives (Yeah, I'm a geek). IBM eh? My nieces worked for them for years (corporate sales and training) until they let her go so she could not retire from there, which IBM was/is famous for! FWIW, OS/2 was my favorite OS for many years (versions 2 through Warp) and I still like to use REXX over some more modern scripting languages.

IF you want to try chlorine or bromine let me know and I will tell you what to do but you will have to drain the tub, refill, and then convert the remaining biguinide to chlorine, which is a process and can take a bit of time. You will then need to drain, refill and purge to get any remaining gunk out of the  tub (biguinide conversion is messy!) You will also need to invest in a GOOD drop based test kit to do the conversion. I recommend Taylor K 2006 for chlorine or K 2106 for bromine along with a K 1000 two way tester for quick daily checks of pH and sanitizer.

I just purged the hot tub and found that afterwards the smell was no longer there.  I have been using the Sundance chemical process for 15 years and had never purged the system other than draining water every 3 months.  I just used a purge chemical.  Not that much gunk came out but the water smell is now gone.

Thanks

17 hours ago, wpatters1229 said:

I just purged the hot tub and found that afterwards the smell was no longer there.  I have been using the Sundance chemical process for 15 years and had never purged the system other than draining water every 3 months.  I just used a purge chemical.  Not that much gunk came out but the water smell is now gone.

Thanks

Glad your problem seems to be solved. I doubt the purge had anything to do with the irritation from the peroxide shock going away since this is a well documented problem with biguinide system and very common, along with white water mold, pink slime, and degradation of plastic parts in the tub. If it's been working for you for 15 years you are one of the lucky ones. IF Sundance has recommended biguainde for this tub then they have probably used plastic parts that are resistant to it. Some manufacturers do not recommend it or void the warranty because of how certain plastic parts and jets react with the chemicals in the biguinide system. IF the problem returns and you decide to convert to chlorine or bromine let me know and I will outline the procedure.

I used Jetted Tub Cleaner Easy, Safe, Concentrated Self Cleaning Bath Tub Jet and Plumbing System Cleaner for Your Hot Tub, Whirlpool, Spa, or Jacuzzi  Since it was cheaper than Awe-some.  I used the whole bottle.  I was going to use Awe-some later when I get some money as it is $32 for 2oz.

What is the procedure for changing?  It maybe worth a try.