Pool closing help

herbakis

Hello everyone, 

First time pool owner, it was installed in September. My kids are loving it. Happy I got the heater so we are able to enjoy the pool this fall. But I need to figure out how to close this thing cause "Winters Coming"...lol

I need help with closing my pool it's a doughboy above  ground 16x32  with a main drain and 7ft deep end. My problem that I'm having is that I don't know what to do with the main drain and the stand pipe that goes to the pump.  

DSC_1355.thumb.JPG.c58d6378b8f42dcc525269e06a2fcfb0.JPGDSC_1323.thumb.JPG.494b9939d9732664da496eb45083b427.JPG

The standpipe is connected to the main drain somehow.( its filled half way with water) The installer said it was for safety. I do not understand how this works, but it is supposed to stop someone from drowning if the suction is to great on the main drain. I tried to find other pools online with this setup but haven't had any luck. 

So to the problem I'm having. I need to blow out the lines trap air inside to prevent freezing and figure out what to do with the standpipe . Is this correct?

You can use the exhaust port on a shop vac to blow out the pipes. Close the valves once bubbles are coming up out of the main drain before you turn off the vac, then plug the valve with a winter plug for backup. You'll need 2 in the pump suction valve unless you are plugging your skimmers too.

• Like 1