What is this opening connected to?

Razzle

I have been having some water loss issues in my hot tub so i went and sealed up some of the jets that i assumed were causing my problems. I've filled up the tub and as soon as I turned on the pump on water started spewing out of this little hole with a grill on it. The hot tub is a Beachcomber, any idea what this is connected to? It isn't the drain because i have a separate hose that comes out for this , i thought it was an overflow in case the pump leaked water would have a place to drain into but I wasn't expecting to see water come out of it???

unnamed.jpg

• 2 years later...

So 2 years later a follow up to this, still having the issue of water coming out of this and it indeed is an air intake. What appears to be happening is when the air valve is closed a siphon effect is happening and it's pulling water in and it's coming out this air intake, it will do this the entire time that my circulation pump is on. My question is what is causing this vacuum in the system? My thought is, my 3 foot jets at the bottom of my tub have been removed because they kept coming out and we don't use them. Is it possible that because there's no valve on these now that they are pulling water in?? It's resulting in a lot of water loss and rather quickly. 

20230722_101142.jpg

20230722_101122.jpg

On 7/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, Razzle said:

What appears to be happening is when the air valve is closed a siphon effect is happening

It should only be when it's open, unless the valve seat is bad. Usually, this starts as a result of high water level, but once started it can drain it alot. The air control valve should also have an internal check valve, but these are prone to failure. 

On 7/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, Razzle said:

will do this the entire time that my circulation pump is on.

Define "circulation pump". This term is for a small pump that often runs 24/7 and is exclusively for heating and ozone/uv or salt cell. A large pump that runs in low for filtration and high for jets is a filtration pump or main pump, usually labelled jet1 or pump1 on the controller.

A circulation pump should have no relation to this issue whatsoever.

A main pump, however, can effect this, as there are air lines connected to each jet as well as water lines. The venturi that creates the suction that pulls the air into the water is usually in the insert, not the body, so closing or blocking jets can cause water to be forced out of the air intake. Worn or broken jet inserts can also cause this. But removing jet inserts should not.

Replacing a pump with a higher hp pump can also cause this, but likely only on high speed.

Make sure all jets are open and functional, then try it with the footjets back in it.

• Like 1