Really need some help selecting a new pool and filter

johnstac

A couple of years ago, I bought this from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/bestway-power-steel-22'-x-12'-x-48%22-above-ground-pool-set.product.100601216.html

It worked well for the first year but I'm not happy with the performance since. Weak flow despite backwashing the sand filter. In fact, despite backwashing the filter, the pressure seems to stay too high. I'm considering just pulling out the stock motor and filter and replacing it with something a bit different/easier. I'm reading about cartridge that can be rinsed periodically. That sounds more like what I'm after. Based on the size of the pool (1500g) can you recommend a good motor filter combination? Something in the price range of 1k or so?

Ok. If filled to those dimensions, you have an 8000 gallon pool, not 1500. The costco ad says 6000. It says your pump is 1500 gallon, which is meaningless as pumps aren't rated in gallons. Does your pump have a hp or amp rating on the sticker?

Does the pump still work and you just want a cartridge filter instead of servicing your sand filter? I am not trying to talk you out of contributing to the good of the economy or anything, but you can probably fix that little sand filter in an hour for $50 or less.

@jimmythegreek, @Pool Clown, any recommendations?

On 10/4/2020 at 10:12 PM, RDspaguy said:

Ok. If filled to those dimensions, you have an 8000 gallon pool, not 1500. The costco ad says 6000. It says your pump is 1500 gallon, which is meaningless as pumps aren't rated in gallons. Does your pump have a hp or amp rating on the sticker?

Does the pump still work and you just want a cartridge filter instead of servicing your sand filter? I am not trying to talk you out of contributing to the good of the economy or anything, but you can probably fix that little sand filter in an hour for $50 or less.

@jimmythegreek, @Pool Clown, any recommendations?

Not at home but I’ll let you know on the hp of that motor. It does still work but pushing very little water now. Even after backwashing the filter. To answer your question, while it doesn’t still work, I have found that the pumps and filters that come with above ground pools usually  have to be replaced at some point. (Intex  comes to mind) I just figured on getting over the pain now instead of a bandaid. Nevertheless, if you feel it’s salvageable I’d be happy to hear your suggestions. I’ll get back to you on the HP.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, RDspaguy said:

It can, and is. And now I understand your desire for something better.

https://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/harris-72311-cartridge-filter-50-sq-ft-system

Apparently that cannot be shipped to California. Please let me know if there are any other suggestions. I mean, I can spend more than $250 if necessary 

That's a good system for your pool, I would say. You don't really have sufficient water flow through your plumbing to handle much more. Over-do it and you'll burn up your new pump. You can get a larger sq ft filter if you like, but stick with the 1/2hp pump.

Get a big name brand, like Pentair or Hayward, so you know you can always get parts. A google search for above ground pool pump will yield many suppliers, or buy from your local dealer and get warranty coverage.