Balboa Start Up Message J29

Shawnf222

Hey

when powering up my spa after being shut off for refilling. A message comes up on the top screen “J29” then says priming. once the normal spa screen comes up the message of “possible freezing conditions” appears. And pumps cycle on and off. 

the j29 is a jumper message and in the manual it says shortened durning power up and heater will not run until J29 is no longer shortened  

anyone have any suggestions 

Thanks

J29.... Heater Disable Switch Connection. If J29 is shorted by any means, the heater will not run until J29 is no longer shorted. If J29 is shorted during power-up “J29” will appear on the panel. The message can be dismissed with a button press, and is the only control panel notification of J29 being shorted. No message is displayed if J29 is shorted after power-up, but the heater will not run until J29 is no longer shorted. J29 expects a switch closure (not a voltage) as the command signal. In some areas, a local power company may offer discounts based on voluntary “power shedding” devices that may be installed in conjunction with the spa.

Can you post photos of the circuit board as well as the schematic on the inside cover.

@RDspaguy Your the Balboa guru any thoughts on this.

I don't see any signs of damage on that board. But I notice that the aux freeze is right next to the vac (j29). As your system is showing shorts on both circuits, I am inclined to say it somehow got moisture on that part of the board. Dry it thoroughly and clean it with a toothbrush to remove any calcium deposits. If the issue continues, I guess you will need a board.

• 2 years later...