Help With High Limit Sensor

carlg

Hi,

I have a problem maybe you can help with.  I have a 2008 Tiger River Caspian hot tub. 

When I power it up, the Power light blinks and I cannot use it.  The circulation pump is running as expected, but you cannot turn on the Jet Pumps.

My owner's manual call this error code a "High Limit Reset" and to check for blockage.  I was not able to find any blockage in the filter area.

So then I was thinking maybe one of the sensors was bad.  There are two of them, the thermistor (which I believe to be the high limit) and the thermostat.  I snipped the wires to both and then connected the two wires that were inside each (with the assumption that these things are just basic switches).  I tried with both switches on (wires connected) and both switches off (wires apart).

Still no luck.  Still same problem.

Where do I look next?

Thanks in advance for help!

6 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

They are not switches, they send a resistance reading (which changes with temperature) to the board. Get new thermistors because yours are bad now even if they weren't before. If that doesn't do it let us know and we will go from there.

Wow, thanks.

I thought they were basic on/off switches.

I just order two new ones off Amamzon and got 2 day delivery so I should have them shortly.

6 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Dirty filters? Remove them until issue is fixed remove them from the equation. Sounds simple but dirty filters are an error code's best friend even filters that look clean may still be restricting the flow of water and causing error codes HL Flo

I noticed you said filters.  Plural.  Is there more than 1?  I've already taken out the big one.  

Sensors came today.  Replaced both of them.  I'm still getting the blinking power light.

Filter is taken out so no blockage there.  The circulation pump is running and outputting bubbles.

I want to say I highly doubt that there is a blockage somewhere.  The reason why I think this is because after the power comes on after being off for a few minutes, the power light stays steady for about 5-10 seconds and then it starts to blink.  If it never tries to move water, how would it ever even discover a blockage.

Not that I'm a hot tub guru, but the only thing left really is the main board? Correct?  The heater was replaced about two years ago by the local pool and spa company so I feel like eliminating it as a problem.

What do I check next?

Thanks in advance!

It's not "reading a blockage" it's overheating inside the heater because the water is not moving through it fast enough to carry away all the heat it makes. 

You said it never tries to move water before it starts blinking? This suggests that there could be a bad sensor or stuck relay. Since the sensors are new, that leaves the relays.

But it turns on the circ pump AFTER it is blinking for you to see bubbles?

The bubbles should be tiny and should shoot out of the jet, not just bubble up from it. Low flow can be hard to diagnose even for a pro, but is the most common cause of this issue. 

Do you have a multimeter or voltmeter?

Anybody got any ideas here?

I'm kinda on my own on this one.  I gave up the other day and just decided to pay for the repair.  Unfortunately, there are two spa dealers in my area.  One only does repairs on their own brand of tubs.  And the other one has not been returning phone calls.

So it's pretty much up to me and the internet to figure this one out.

sometimes stereos, ozonators, or other nearby electronics can cause this error light to come on, and suggests unplugging them to see if they are causing interference.

There are some other older threads on the forum if you use the search bar "control unplugged" might find something there. Sorry not a Watkins guy

Yeah I actually did get a chance to talk to the guy that fixes tubs locally (the one above that was not returning calls).  Seems like it's going to be a while before he can come out.  After a phone conversation with him, it sounds like it's a possible main board (at least what a take away from his initial assessment).

The wife and I are discussing if we should just get a new tub or not.  This one is 12 years old.

Not sure I feel like waiting for the repairman to come (who knows it could be weeks).  The replacement part for the IQ2020 is $600 which is really just a crap shoot since I may buy it and it may still not work.  

I just found out there is a MyLife Spa 5 person available locally immediately for $3700.