BHP vs HP - Different Brands

amityeric

This seems to be really hard but I'm trying to figure it out. 

I'm comparing two spa pumps. The Artesian 5.0 BHP pump (2.5HP continuous) and the Waterway Executive 5HP pump. 

The Artesian Captiva spa has two 5.0 BHP pumps. The other spa I'm looking at has two 5.0 Waterworks pumps but they don't specify BHP.

So which pumps are better? Which are more powerful? I've already decided on the Artesian spa because I like the Balboa parts and the dealer, but as a consumer who doesn't know much, it seems that pump power is an important aspect to look at. 

How can I possibly know and compare? Any thoughts on this? 

I think I found both pumps I'm trying to compare: 

This one: Waterway Plastics 3722021-1D Waterway Executive 5HP - 2 speed - looks like 16amp draw

and this one: Balboa 1016020 - 5BHP - 2.5HP / 10 amp draw

The first pump is on the West Coast spa I'm looking at & the Balboa is on the Artesian. Looks like the Balboa is much weaker if I'm looking at everything correctly. But you're also saying that the plumbing design was engineered. 

Pipe restrictions, number of jets, size and type of jets, diverter valves, filter size, number of filters, bypass valves, check valves, and a dozen or so other variables affect how strong a spas jets are. A well designed system is balanced and has the right pump for the plumbing. Slapping in a higher hp can damage the pump and the plumbing over time, but when you want to sell a product it pays to get billion hp pumps. Everyone likes big numbers.🤪

• Like 3