Best Replacement Cover Option

culchie23

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the topic on it. It's time to get a new cover, and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of where the best place is to get my replacement hard cover ? I'm thinking it is cheaper to get one online, rather than a pool and spa store. But which company has the best quality, reputation, customer support etc... ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking of going with Affordable Spa Covers. It's hard to find anything online about any of the companies reputation. It's difficult to pull the trigger on an online purchase for something that expensive. Especially since it's something made to order, and you can't just return it. I find it hard to believe no one on here has an opinion about their spa covers. I'm sure most people on here have bought a cover at one time or another. Maybe the forum just isn't very active. Thanks again for your time.

9 hours ago, culchie23 said:

I find it hard to believe no one on here has an opinion about their spa covers.

Hotspring makes their own covers, I personally would prefer buying a cover direct from the manufacturer of my hottub so I can ensure it's 100% the correct size for optimal insulation of the tub.   The only reason I see to get a different non-oem cover is if I needed something heavier duty to handle heavy snow or people walking over the cover (if the tub was built into the deck for example), or if your manufacturer doesn't make covers for your tub anymore.

But then again, that's just my $0.02 on the subject of covers.

Here's what I know about Spa covers...

If you could ever design a cover that lasted more than 5 years you would be rich rich rich were talking Bill Gates rich...lol

Every seller will have bad reviews...expectations rarely meet reality.

Average lifespan 3-5 years

Warranty's mean little to nothing at all so don't get sucked in to 5 year 7 year warranties thinking it's a better product. It would cost you more to ship back a 3 year old waterlogged cover than to buy a new one and they would likely disqualify your claim as chemical related. Of the hundreds of covers I have sold over the years I can count on one hand the number of warranty claims and they are usually on delivery or within the first week or two. 

It is critical to maintain a cover to get the longest life possible. Use a UV protectant. Clean the cover with soap and water monthly and spray the protectant onto a rag sparingly and rub onto the cover. If overused the rain will wash it into your spa.

A Cover Cap can be a useful aid if the spa is placed in an area with a lot of trees overhead.

Here in my area of Ontario Canada (GTA) there are a multitude of online sellers but most all come out of one factory and they also make for OEM. I get a kick out of ads saying ours is the best.. and ours are better and in reality it's apples to apples with price and marketing being the only real difference.

What I would be looking for in a cover..

2lb density foam

full length steam stopper that fills the gap between the 2 halves from one end to the other when closed. A lot of covers will only have a 4-6" piece at each end.

A double wrapper vapor barrier is another nice upgrade if available. Chemicals will breakdown the poly wrap the surrounds the foam inserts over time and a double wrap will help delay this common issue.

Turn off your water features when not in use. Covers have a moisture drain hole (or 2) on the underside of the cover. Waterfalls left on when the cover is closed will run water along the underside of the cover and can work it's way into the drain holes.

Leave the cover open for at least 20 mins minimum after adding chemicals. Chlorine and bromine are caustic stuff and need to off gas. If you add chemicals and then close the lid you will burn the underside of the cover and it will fail and get waterlogged quicker. Top cover killer IMO 

Add a cover lifter. Taking the cover on and off by hand and placing it on the ground will wear it out quicker. When installing a cover lifter make sure the screws on the middle bar are pointed to the back of the spa so when the cover is flipped open the screws do not dig into the cover. When the cover is in the upright open position the screws should point to the ground. 

If the cover/spa is in a windy spot add a hurricane strap to hold it down. Just a 5" wide strip of vinyl that goes from the front to back right down the middle of the spa and clips in with standard cover locks.

90% of the covers I sell are 5"-4" taper with a few 6"-4" mixed in. 4"-3" very rare...indoor or in gazebo...Canada after all

Good luck with your purchase

• Like 2

My old CalSpa sits on my patio, gets afternoon sun in the Arizona winter when the sun is lower, but is mostly protected from rain, etc.

My current spa cover is by Sweetwater Spas, bought a quite low price from a local pool store that was buying up surplus covers of various sizes and colors, and one there fit my spa.  It's lasted at least 5 years, but showing its age, but it has not absorbed water at all.

Since I have a cover holder on the side of the spa and not lifting the cover off and placin on ground, etc., the covers have lasted longer.

I found a link for those here http://www.hottubworks.com/ShopBySpaBrand/Sundance-Sweetwater_Spas_hot_tub_covers.php

DSC07811.JPG

• Like 2

I too have ordered many covers over the years, some from a nearby manufacturer at the time, and have never seen a noticeable difference in quality that you don't pay extra for. They all make basically the same product using the same materials and offering the same upgrades. There are some minor differences, but I couldn't name any one as better or worse than another. The biggest factor in cover life, in my experience, is the owner. Maintain it as @CanadianSpaTech said, leave it open after adding chemicals, and use a low chlorine non-continuous feed system in your spa to lessen chemical damage. Get a good lift and keep the kids and dogs off of it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have a Strong Spa and not sure if they use their own covers, or someone else's. I bought it from Costco. My cover is 9 years old, and it's right out in the elements. So it sounds like I was actually lucky. I expect the OEM cover lasts longer than replacements. I looked at HotTubWorks. Their custom made covers seem to be comparable to other brands pricing. But from what they told me, I can get it delivered in about half the time as others. Or pay about $80 more at Affordable Spa Covers for expedited. Now I just have to take a chance on one of them. Thanks again.

If I remember correctly, strong spas uses a higher density and thicker foam in addition to the barrier wrap. All options at every cover manf I have dealt with. These options are normally recommended for areas with lots of snow but came standard on a strong spa, at least those I delivered. I think they use ideal covers, but could be thinking of another brand. I've seen them all... well, almost all.

My first Arctic Spa cover lasted eight years.... actually,  it's STILL in use - the outer jacket wore down after seven-eight years.   The foam (itself wrapped well in plastic) was bone-dry,  so I only had to replace the cover JACKET.   It's now 10+ years.

AFAIK they only make covers for their own tubs BUT you can check with them.

Two things I strongly recommend -

1)  Aerospace Protectant 303.   Once or twice a year.
2)  if you live in a snow area - there's a product called Sno_BrUm (snow broom) - goes for between $18 and $24 (US) depending on where you buy it.   Won't damage the cover but it's great for clearing snow off the top of the tub (also works great on cars,  too!)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SnoBrum-17-in-W-Snow-Broom-with-48-in-Telescoping-Handle-3002-001THS/303240928

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to order a new cover as well.  Didn't know where you ended up ordering it from and if you have received it yet.

We have a Hot Springs and our local dealer told us it is a 14 week delivery time.  We live in the ME, our cover is in rough shape and in 14 weeks we will have snow by then.   I was looking around on line to figure out if someone else was cheaper than $600 and 14 weeks.  Just frustrating buying a cover every 3 years.

• 1 month later...

I have purchased 2 hot tub covers from "the cover guy" the last one I ordered August 28th and finally received it Nov 5th. They said they have been swamped with orders by all the people stuck at home. The quality is pretty good but all covers seem to take on water after a about 5 years. Part of the problem is the ozone generators turn the plastic that wraps the covers into a brittle mess that no longer protect the styrofome. I also live in Maine and paid $519.00  for this cover after adding some of their bells and whistles, but paid no shipping. Their customer service people seemed overworked and I am sure part of the long wait was covid  issues. That said, when the time comes I will probably buy from them again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to offer some thoughts to those who were thinking of ordering from Affordable Spa Cover out of Clearwater FL.  We needed a new cover for our Hot Springs and when I called the dealer they told me it would be 14 weeks, which would put it into the middle of January in Maine.  I was kicking myself for not planning ahead and thinking of Covid delays and such.  The last cover we got from the dealer was 3 years ago.  The vinyl had tiny cracks, the steam stopper gap filler had come out a year ago when the Velcro that was holding it in place was no longer sticking together.  This was going to be our 3rd cover in the 7 years in owning the hot tub so I haven't been overly impressed with what I consider a major expense in running owning a hot tub.  

I searched online and found this company.  Found this website and there didn't seem to be any comments from people on here who had used them as an alternative to their dealer.  I was leery but decided since they had an expeditated production and shipping for an extra $75 that it was worth it.   With all the upgrades I got above what the dealers covers offer I only paid $60 more than the dealer and got it 2 months earlier.  Paid $560.

I was nervous about getting the dimensions right but you can also select your brand and type of hot tub and it fills in the dimensions for you.  I double checked mine against what was pre-populated on their site.  

The expedited production and shipping says 12-15 days on their website and when the 21st business day came, I called them to inquire.  They said they had a lot of expeditated orders so it was taking about 5 weeks.  ( I also suggested they update their website)   I ordered on Oct 8th, it shipped on November 11th and arrived on 19th.   

I went with the 2 lb foam 6 to 4" tapered top for snow load.  I paid an extra $25 for a double wrapped heat sealed plastic, not sure if it is worth it or not, will have to wait and see how it lasts.  There was also a $50 for lift plate covers.   All in all, this cover is extremely well made, can't say if it better or worse than the dealer brands or not but the fact that the steam stop gap is sewn in vs. being held in place by velcro has me feeling more positive.    

Just wanted to share my experience to those who might be on the fence.

1 hour ago, CareyLDD said:

Affordable Spa Cover

CURRENT ALERTS FOR THIS BUSINESS

BBB rating 1.4/5 

Hope you don't have any issue. Doesn't sound like they are well liked.

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/clearwater/profile/hot-tub-parts/affordable-spa-covers-inc-0653-90039116/complaints

• Sad 1