Tiger river spa Sumatran , not heating/low flow

REA

Hi all 

we have recently acquired a tiger river Sumatran spa .  It did not heat up , found heater relays faulty .

new relays still no heat, main board is calling for heat . The heater has power and it looks like an upgrade as the pressure switch has been bypassed as this heater does not have a cable to connect pressure switch.

circ pump is getting hot so opened each pipe in turn inside the panel to bled through any air locks that might be present . Pump is working as checked flow through again by removing pipe and flicking the pump on .Still no heat . 

I cannot see or feel any suction from within the filter chamber when just on circulation. Very little coming out of return to the spa from sump. 

thanks in advance

update - with the jets running we have gone from 30 degrees C to 34 degrees C . Would this indicate a flow problem with the circulation.. 

thanks 

Edited by REA
Additional info

Hi RDSpaguy

ive removed the filter still no flow . I’ve taken the delivery pipe off the heater to see if circ pump is running , which it is . 

I’m going to move the suction pipe into the spa water directly and see if I have a blockage on the suction side , same on delivery if required . 

but just because the pump is working smdoes not mean it’s working at it’s full capacity 

I’ll let you know what I find 

thanks 

Castletonia 

its a new circ pump , the uograded e4/5 if I remember. Only fitted 2 days ago .

how can I measure flow ? I’d say not if we can heat the spa when jet pump is on . How can I check flow rate ? These don’t have flow sensor, and the heater is the newer type with the pressure sensor not required so it has a jumper fitted to the main board .

thanks 

Russell 

how can I test flow to

The below pic is the wiring inside the heater housing . 
on my one the highlighted wire is not connected .... is this due to the pressure switch bypass ? I’m going to assume that this should be connected , unless you guys know any better ...

thanks 

Russell

0F04ADA4-BF1F-440B-8B8C-440CB8510E19.jpeg

Hi guys 

just been going through everything again to ensure I had not missed anything.

the heater I have is a 1.5kw on a 240v system .. found below info ...not sure if this is correct as suppliers of these heaters only seem to have the 1.5kw model 

thanks 

Russell7D65C152-8B14-47BA-8AA9-917EB733D62B.thumb.png.29c1a7128d49387c1cee51efe4f7b7f5.png

Castletonia 

The tub heats up if I run the jet pump, but not if I just run the filtration. 
The current heater is a 1.5kw but as you state the o &m states it should be 6kw for a 240v system . Does the heater run at diff kw depending on if it’s 115v or 240v ? 

just trying to be 100% sure before as heaters are expensive 

stupid question .. I’m running the spa off a standard 240v supply from the house ...can this be a problem? Do I need a dedicated supply from the board? 

thanks 

Ok. Basic electrical theory.

Volts = amps x ohms

Watts = volts x amps

Resistance (ohms) is fixed, built in the heater at 10 ohms. So if we do the math...

115 volts = amps x 10, so 11.5 amps. 115 volts x 11.5 amps = 1,322.5 watts rounded off to 1.5kw.

230 volts = amps x 10, so 23 amps. 230 volts x 23 amps = 5,290 watts rounded off to 5.5kw. 

Same heater, different voltages. There is no spa heater that I know of that is 1.5kw at 230 volts.

16 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

There is no spa heater that I know of that is 1.5kw at 230 volts.

Not related to the OP's post but just to pass along some mindless jibber jabber for @RDspaguy.Coast Spas use to do a dual heater elements the ran 230 with 4 KW on one and 1 KW on the other. https://www.poolandhottubdepot.com/tspa-mp-replacement-board/

C2500-3600ET-G - Coast/Gecko Spa Heater Assembly Dual Element 4.0kW 240 Volt

Ok. It sure reads that way.

You say it heats with the pump on, how fast? If the heater is in fact turning on when the pump runs then the heater is not the issue. My money is on the circulation pump. Are there any flashing indicator lights or error codes on the display? Post a pic of the equipment area including the pumps and circuit board.