Easiest & safest method with lowest potential harmful chemicals?

DougA

1.  What do you think is the easiest and safest manner to run a hot tub with the lowest amount of potentially harmful chemicals (choline, bromine, etc.)?  

2.  I have a 400 g. hot tub.  It is usually used one to two times per day by 1-2 people for 10-20 minutes at higher temps (like 103) and occasionally 2-3 people will watch a show or movie (60-90 minutes)  from the tub at lower temps like 98 degrees.  I currently use Nature2 stick low chlorine recipe and use MPS as indicated I'm the directions and use diclor shock as they recommend if MPS levels can't be kept high enough Or if water is unclear, etc.  I appreciate how I can put the cover on after adding MPS versus chlorine (especially in the MN winters).   Do you feel this is sufficient for safety?  If not what changes would you recommend to their directions?  If you recommend something other than Nature2, I'm open to that.

3.  Using the recommended Nature2 using MPS and diclor when necessary.  My choline levels using the AquaChek Yellow - Chlorine 4-in-1 Test Strips frequently show 0 chlorine (I'm assuming this is a Free Chlorine measurement).  Is there a better test strip or test for choline OR is this good enough?

4.  Any other thoughts, resources, etc. would be very appreciated.  By the way, I"m open to frequent testing if necessary and am good with math and have the ability to adjust or calculate for bather loads, etc. if necessary.  I know some folks are not willing to do those things.  I"m trying to keep it is simple as possible but open to making it as complex as necessary.  

Thanks, Doug

What brand of spa? Do you have ozone or uv?

Get a test kit, I like taylor.

Used properly, none of these chemicals is harmful. Low chlorine is fine, but mps is potentially more of an irritant than chlorine. Mps is not a sanitizer, nor is nature2. I would do the reverse and use dichlor or liquid (bleach) after use and shock with mps as needed.

Chlorine allergies and sensitivity are extremely rare. Many people THINK they have them, but few actually do. Remember, most tap water is treated with chlorine and if you are sensitive to it you would react from showering, hand washing, and drinking. Most people blame chlorine for irritation from chloramines or ph imbalance. High chloramines (combined chlorine) has a strong chlorine odor, like many public pools, and means you need to shock and likely have ph issues. And it will irritate eyes and skin. But the solution is not less chlorine it is much more chlorine, or some other oxidizer.

In my mind, the best thing for spa maintenance is ozone. I like nature2, but I won't own a spa without ozone.

If I switch to the Chlorine / Bleech plan posted as a sticky on this site, would you recommend keeping the nature2 also OR add Ozone or both?    

When you add the chlorine / bleach after use, should you leave the cover off for a while or is the amount low enough that leaving the cover off is NOT necessary.

Which model or ozone do you recommend?  

Thanks, Doug