Hot tub jets make water milky first start up when circulation pump has been turned off and back on

phs798

We have a 2200 gallon Hot tub that when the Jets are turned on for the first time after the circulation pump has been turned off and back on for whatever reason, it makes the water Milky for a short time. It is fine after that first start. We dump the water once a week and all chemicals are typically in the ideal range. What could be the cause of this? This has been a fairly recent development. We had to replace some laterals in the filter and change the sand but the issue with the Jets was occurring before that.

Appreciate any and all help. 

11 hours ago, phs798 said:

2200 gallon Hot tub

That's almost a lake

We dump the water once a week

Really?? 2200 gallons and it gets dumped weekly

Sounds like you need to do a plumbing line purge on your next dump. I recommend AHH-Some for this

change the sand

Is it a pool or hot tub?

• Like 1

Clouding water is common in spas with high ph, alk, and calcium. What are your chemical readings and routine? Any chemical automation, feeders, or salt system?

On 8/26/2020 at 7:15 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

I recommend AHH-Some for this

I would check that it is compatible with your spas construction. @Ahhsomeguy probably knows. Is it plaster or fiberglass?

On 8/26/2020 at 7:15 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Is it a pool or hot tub?

I suspect inground spa/pool combo, and they "dump" to the pool and refill from it. 

@jimmythegreek, @Pool Clown, @waterbear, any suggestions?

Not sure that you have a (chemistry) problem...

Ever poured a glass of water from the tap and its "milky"? But if you let it stand for a minute it clears up?  You may have, for what ever reason, a bit of air in the system and when you turn on the pump that air goes through the pump and eventually gets to the tub after being churned up into a milky froth, if you will....

You state that it "makes the water milky for a short time".  My guess is that it is air, and it eventually clears out.  Otherwise, in a spa, i dont think a true milky condition would clear out in a "short time". 

Now if what you think you have is an (air) leak, I would look at everything (plumbing wise) from the pump inlet threads or connection back to the tub (suction side).  Also check the pump shaft seal.  I have had seals pull air before.  Yes, i know, the shaft seal is in a predominately positive pressure area, but it does happen!  Especially if the seal is leaking just a little bit.  Check the area around the seal after the pump has been off all night for wetness.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...