Hot Springs Prodigy H - Flashing Red Light Control Panel

Brian Slone

I got a used hot springs prodigy H from someone.  I finished hooking it up yesterday and filled it through the filter housing with a hose.  It ran perfectly fine, heated, jets all ran fine.  I put system flush in to clean out the jets since it had been sitting.  I then drained the water out.  When I refilled it, I thought it would be smart to siphon water through a hose from my pool so it would start out clean, I did put it into the filter housing, but slow flow with the siphon.  When I powered up the spa again, you could hear the spa start up then it stopped and the control panel red light started flashing and nothing was operative anymore.  I turned the power off overnight, took the gray standpipe out, put a hose down in the hole and covered with a rag around the hose, turned the hose on and it forced a big air bubble out the bottom return and I let that water run for about 30 seconds.  Put pipe and filter back in and turned on power and it still blinks red, now it doesn't even sound like it tries anything, it will start blinking within 5-10 seconds.  I don't think my heater has a reset button, I couldn't find it anyway.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

Check your flow, you may still have an airlock. Give the circulation pump a shake. Check the return flow of bubbles from the footwell jet.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.  Would draining it again and refilling it the proper way with a garden hose clear the air lock if there is still one?  

Also, if the hot tub is in protection mode, you need to turn the power off for at least 30 seconds to clear the error code.  If it is an airlock, you can also try taking the hose and placing it near the floor drain where bubbles should come out and turn the hose on.  The backwards pressure may help burp the air bubble.

• Like 1

After shaking the pump and seeing bubbles still,, I drained about 2 inches out and took out the standpipe. Put it in with rag around again and held it there till it filled back up. The water started flowing through the return in the filter area so it should have cleared it all. But still doing the same. The whole spa is shut down, circulation pump not running, nothing. It was working fine before the jet clean, drain, refill. 

The flashing lights indicate a high temp reading at the heater. This is usually the result of low flow from a dirty filter or airlock, but can be a faulty circulation pump, sensor, or even circuit board. 

If you have verified that you have strong flow from both returns and a steady stream of tiny bubbles from the footwell, it's time to test the sensors (thermistors). Do you own a multimeter?

26 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

That is a low voltage logic chip and not really linked to any equipment. 

Ok. Let me know if you think of anything I could try. Hoping to avoid calling a tech in. The only one I could find charges $155 to show up and that covers 15 minutes then $100 an hour kicks in. So pretty much looking at a minimum of $255 + parts.

7 hours ago, Brian Slone said:

Yes, it is in the breaker as well, the schematics had no neutral for the 220 breaker.

I don't see a lot of these in my area and can't really see from the photo you posted so I will defer to others on the wiring set up but it seems odd to me. I would also redo a couple of those wires. They look jammed in and might not be making proper contact. 

7 hours ago, Brian Slone said:

Ok. Let me know if you think of anything I could try. Hoping to avoid calling a tech in. The only one I could find charges $155 to show up and that covers 15 minutes then $100 an hour kicks in. So pretty much looking at a minimum of $255 + parts.

Wow what area are you in? Is that USD? ...might have to move there