Used Hottub - pumps won’t turn on

Scottyo

I just bought a Dynasty Excalibur hot tub used from a private seller. The previous owner showed me that the pumps worked when I pick it up. I wired the tub yesterday and when I turn on the breaker, the tub turns on and the light and panel appear to work but when I turn on pumps I hear a click but nothing else. It’s a two pump system and the same thing happens on both so I assume both pumps aren’t bad. I also get 3 blinking dots on the display. If anyone has any trouble shooting advice it would be appreciated! Thank you!

Ok. You sound like you know what you are doing, but I have been wrong about that before. So, with all due respect, are you sure the fuses are good? Does your tester have 2 wire leads? Did you remove the fuses and test continuity, or test voltage between both ends of the fuse with the power on and get 0 volts? 

Are the pumps turning on but just not moving water? You could have an airlock. Did you fill it through the filter well with filter removed? Try to loosen the threaded union on the right end of the heater to release airlock. If it is too tight, loosen the small screw on the front of the black split-nut to loosen the fitting.

Our local gecko guru should be along shortly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scottyo said:

I believe the wiring at the panel is correct. Using a meter those two green fuses are good.

Odd that the fuses are good but both pumps are not working unless the previous owner was running it 110V

Using the diagram on inside cover make sure the wires coming from the pumps are going to the correct spots on the circuit board. Especially the white pump 1 and white pump 2 wires. White wires In one spot it will run the pumps on 110 in a different location on the circuit board it will run the pumps on 240

Check for power where the pump attaches to the board (Red and black pump wires). Do you have power coming off the board to the pump? 

Test for 240 going onto the board from the breaker panel...blue to red 120 blue to red 120 red to black 240

then do the same at the holes on other side of the white connection box to ensure power is going through

No problem, I appreciate your thoroughness as I’m brand new to hot tubs so I don’t know much about trouble shooting them. I took out the fuses and tested continuity. When I push the pump button I hear the relay click but the pumps don’t do anything at all. No hum or anything.

14 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Ok. You sound like you know what you are doing, but I have been wrong about that before. So, with all due respect, are you sure the fuses are good? Does your tester have 2 wire leads? Did you remove the fuses and test continuity, or test voltage between both ends of the fuse with the power on and get 0 volts? 

Are the pumps turning on but just not moving water? You could have an airlock. Did you fill it through the filter well with filter removed? Try to loosen the threaded union on the right end of the heater to release airlock. If it is too tight, loosen the small screw on the front of the black split-nut to loosen the fitting.

Our local gecko guru should be along shortly.

I took out the fuse and tested continuity I also checked the voltage with power one. When I push the pump button. I hear the relay click but the pumps don’t do anything. No hum or anything.

13 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Odd that the fuses are good but both pumps are not working unless the previous owner was running it 110V

Using the diagram on inside cover make sure the wires coming from the pumps are going to the correct spots on the circuit board. Especially the white pump 1 and white pump 2 wires. White wires In one spot it will run the pumps on 110 in a different location on the circuit board it will run the pumps on 240

Check for power where the pump attaches to the board (Red and black pump wires). Do you have power coming off the board to the pump? 

Test for 240 going onto the board from the breaker panel...blue to red 120 blue to red 120 red to black 240

then do the same at the holes on other side of the white connection box to ensure power is going through

It doesn’t seem like I have power coming off the board to the pump. I checked the black and red wires where the pump connects to the board and have 0 volts.

Post photo of how the GFCI circuit breaker is wired.

POWER OFF...Disconnect the main wiring from the spa. Being extra careful making sure the wires can't touch each other, YOU, or anything else Power back on and test the red and black you should get 240. If not then the problem is before the spa.

If you do..reattach the wiring and test again to make sure it was not a loose connection all along. If the same problem occures again then you might have to pull the board and check the backside of the board for darkened or burnt areas

Let us know results

@RDspaguy you have the electrical base knowledge here any thing to add?

Could the blue wire be carrying the 120 somehow so that he gets 120 blue to red and then 120 blue to black and that is why no 240 red to black?

It looks like he has lost a leg of his 240v. The blue is neutral and will read 120v to either leg at the board or breaker due to feed-through on 240 volt equipment that is still turning on, it just has no voltage to run. He is reading the same phase on both wires. This could be a bad breaker, improperly installed breaker in the main panel, or just the wrong breaker. 

Test voltage at the main panel breaker black to red. If it is not 240v there pull the breaker out and post a pic of the back of it and the panel where it plugged in.

In the last photo you  can see the breaker on the left is clipped onto 2 terminals. That is what you need the spa breaker to do. The breaker that says 99-12-5-9 upside down almost looks crooked. 

Now in the first photo there is a gap between the spa breaker and the 99-12 breaker but again looking at the last photo there should no be a space as there is no more room that I can see.

The spa breaker should clip in and algin with the other double pole breaker with the red on off switch. 

Right now you are only pulling 120V

And lastly I had a hard time finding this post again as it is posted in the "inflatable Spa" Section...I did not know there even was one...lol

• Like 1

Lot going on in that panel..how many amp is the service?

If you are having trouble getting it to click in to the panel bar you might have to remove that 99-12 breaker and either try and re-install it after the spa breaker is working or move it down to the last open space below mid panel

@CanadianSpaTech That was indeed the issue. Moved the breaker down and pumps kicked on! Thank you! Now that they are running I’ve got a new problem. For a minute the pump worked and was moving water but now neither pump is pumping but they are running. Would this just be an air lock issue? Again this is my first tub so any info I’ve got is just what I’m searching on the internet. 

Sounds like an air lock and what I would check first. Back one of the couplers that attaches to the pump just enough to allow the air to escape. once you have flow tighten it back up. Sometimes you can burp it out running the pump on/off or low/hi a few times.