Help me choose: Sundance Edison vs Hotspot Rhythm

Hi everyone,

I live in Toronto and have narrowed down my choices to the Sundance Edison and Hotspot Rhythm but can't seem to decide which one is better based on a few angles:

1. Insulation - which product has better insulation?

2. Reliability and operating life - which product lasts longer and seldom breaks?

3. Parts and repair - if the product breaks, which one is harder to look /afford for parts & service?

4. Filtration system - which is better CLEARRAY® UV-C Technology + Filtration or FROG® In-Line Cartridge Ready?

5. Monthly costs - which product is more expensive to maintain with having to purchase supplies for  filters, chemicals, etc?

Appreciate any help and information you can share. I'm looking to finalize my decision in the next 2 weeks. Thanks!

Ryan Toronto

FYI Sundance is Jacuzzi and Hotspot is Hotsprings. Are you in the East end or West end? I am near Milton.

Both brands are very proprietary so you can expect both to be about the same when it comes to questions 1,2, 3 and 5. I am partial to the uv systems but don't have a lot of experience with the frog system other than you have the replacement cost every 3-4 mths perhaps @RDspaguy can comment.

I don't know a lot about Pioneer pools (Hotspot) for service but do know that the Sundance guys in Vaughn and Burlington have always been great with me being an independent service tech. Some big brands can be dicks towards independents and only want their guys doing the work.  

Yeah, big fan of ozone for it's ability to oxidize. I also like mineral purifiers (silver ion) but if I had to choose it would be ozone all day long.

Ozone burns off organic contaminants through oxidation (like shock) but is such a strong oxidizer that it even reacts with free chlorine. This means you can shock after heavy use and not have to soak in a bleach bath the next day, because the ozone will burn off all the chloramines and most of the chlorine overnight.

Silver ion inhibits reproduction of single-celled organisms and (slowly) destroys them. It does not eliminate the need for chlorine, but allows you to use less. It is a little pricey compared to most chemicals, but worth it in my not-so-humble opinion. I use nature2 or spa frog. I have not tried any of the liquid varieties but assume they are similar. 

UV also burns off unstabilized chlorine rapidly and destroys bacteria in the water that flows through it, and flows a stream of sanitized water back into an unsanitized tub, just like ozone. It cannot stop the spread of pathogens in the water, and also requires a sanitizer (chlorine or bromine).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the frog system on my hot tub.  I like the system.  Only complaint I have is that the pH and alkalinity tend to drop which can cause the chlorine cartridge to dissipate somewhat rapidly.  Other than that, its great for my needs.  I haven't installed an ozone yet, but plan to do so sometime sooner than later.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to treat the water, nothing beats plain old chlorine.  It will probably be the most time consuming and may not result in the softest, most odor free water, but it will keep it clean for cheap.  Anytime you want ease of use and simplicity, it comes at a cost.

I sell Hot Spring so I have bias.  I also have never seen a newer Sundance in person so I cannot comment on their current build quality.  Generally speaking, I consider Hot Spring and Sundance to be in the top 5 regarding quality and manufacturer support.  If you consider all things to be equal between the two brands and the price is similar, then choose the dealer that you feel will offer you the best support after the sale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Yeah, big fan of ozone for it's ability to oxidize. I also like mineral purifiers (silver ion) but if I had to choose it would be ozone all day long.

Ozone burns off organic contaminants through oxidation (like shock) but is such a strong oxidizer that it even reacts with free chlorine. This means you can shock after heavy use and not have to soak in a bleach bath the next day, because the ozone will burn off all the chloramines and most of the chlorine overnight.

Silver ion inhibits reproduction of single-celled organisms and (slowly) destroys them. It does not eliminate the need for chlorine, but allows you to use less. It is a little pricey compared to most chemicals, but worth it in my not-so-humble opinion. I use nature2 or spa frog. I have not tried any of the liquid varieties but assume they are similar. 

UV also burns off unstabilized chlorine rapidly and destroys bacteria in the water that flows through it, and flows a stream of sanitized water back into an unsanitized tub, just like ozone. It cannot stop the spread of pathogens in the water, and also requires a sanitizer (chlorine or bromine).

@RDspaguy

Based on what you are saying, Ozone depletes chlorine every day and it has to be topped up daily ? - that would make sense why my readings are always low

8 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

It would. Without the introduction of new contaminants into the spa from use it should not need daily treatment. Use chlorine to destroy contaminants after use and ozone will keep it clean. A once a week treatment will suffice.

SillyBlondDuckbillcat-max-1mb.gif

I rock an ozonator and circ pump to inject ozone 24/7, and a silver mineral cartridge for the added benefits of that sanitizer.   I only use two chemicals in my hottub:  Dichlor56 pellets to sanitize after soaking (1 teaspoon for the wife and I after a 20 minute soak in our 200 gallon tub), and baking soda to raise the pH as needed (rarely, my pH doesn't drift easily).  The next day when we get in to soak, that water is better than bathwater with no chlorine odors and no itchy skin afterwards. 

Although I admit I am a bit OCD with keeping my filters clean as @RDspaguy already knows 😄.  Clean filters are critical to hottubs for many reasons, don't be shy about going overboard with cleaning them frequently. 

• Like 1

I may be leaning towards the Hotspot Rhythm since the product ticks most of the boxes, based on feedback from you guys. They can deliver sooner than Sundance too.

The only thing iffy right now is that Hotspot / Hot Spring does not include electrical in the package while Sundance does. Im waiting to get a quote from an electrician and anticipating roughly $1,300 for the work which may cause me to swing over to Sundance.

Thanks everyone! @CanadianSpaTech, Im closer to the west end buddy.

• 2 weeks later...