Wiring a Tiger River Spa to a dual 50 amp disconnect

adven001

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 2009 Tiger River Spa the can be 110 or 220a. The previous owner had it wired to a dual 50a disconnect on the side of the house. The spec sheet calls for a 30a and 20a gfci setup. I know the importance of separating the pump and the heater on two gfci's so please don't harp on me for this. My question is can i run the single neutral, and the 3 hots(plus ground) to the dual 50a gfci? It is almost impossible to find a 30amp and 20amp disconnect nowadays. 

Thank you very very much for your help!!!!!

The wire size is determined by the breaker size. Doing what you suggest might work, but could be a fire hazard. I would use the 50 amp gfci breaker in the main panel and standard, non-gfci 30 and 20 amp breakers at the disconnect subpanel. That also provides the individual fusing required to avoid damage to the circuit board in the event of component failure.

Ok, thank you for your advise. I will call a electric supply store and see if i can get the non gfci 20 and 30, and the gfci dual 50. They had the tub wired to a dual 50 at the side of the house for years they said. So was wondering if i could do the same. I don't like the words "fire hazard", haha so i will attempt to do it to code as possible. The only dual 20/30amp box i could find was like 350 bucks...so trying to avoid that cost.

Thank you RD!!!

I would put a non gfci 50amp in main panel and put the 20 and 30 gfcis out by the spa, like the manufacturer has it set up. It will also make the service tech or your life easier when you have a component failure. Also if you are in an area that has cold winters the main breaker tripping will result in total spa shut down which may lead to frozen hottub. Yes it more expensive now but could save you from major expense later.

Tjr is right, it is best to do it as the manufacturer specifies. But I also understand wanting to avoid that cost. The breakers are available at home depot as well, and you may be able to use the disconnect panel from the 50 amp, depending on which you have. Can you post a pic?

29 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Oh noooo!!! Never buy squareD! They have another one (maybe it's home depot) by Midwest I think, that is an actual sub-panel with spaces for more breakers. 

What brand is your main panel (in the house)?

Hahaha i actually laughed out loud when i read that! I am learning as i go here, and am glad that you are taking the time to help me out. So thank you. I will return the SquareD (bad reputation?). My main house panel is a Siemens. I'm going to stop by an electrical supply store near me in the morning and hope they have a box and GFCIs i need. I want to do it right so i'm just going to pay the extra. I will also look into Home Depot and see what they have as well. It shouldn't be too hard to find a box to fit the 30amp and 20amp GFCIs. I was hoping to use the 50a box but i want my family safe.  

Well. 2 electrical supply stores, 8 hours of labor and I'm done. Between 2 stores they had the gfcis I needed and the 60 feet of 6/3 w ground. Man that was a headache, but thank you very much for the advice. I am no rest assured it is done to code and safe. I installed the larger box to the right. 20gfci and dual 30gfci. As to the recommendation of the company. All waterproof connections and correct awg wire. Whew now I have to learn chemicals! Hahaha 

20200803_154448.jpg

20200803_154452.jpg

• 3 weeks later...