space needed to open cover

superg

We are expecting our hot tub (first one) in a couple weeks and struggling with the final location.  The dealer said we needed 24" behind the tub for the cover although it sounded more like an estimate than a definite.  Can anyone confirm the space needed?  Also how much space do you recommend on all sides?  We are also considering a location next to our house that would have approximately 16" clearance from the side,  is that too close?

Thanks

**** We are getting a BullFrog R7 with the standard cover.

12 hours ago, superg said:

We are expecting our hot tub (first one) in a couple weeks and struggling with the final location.  The dealer said we needed 24" behind the tub for the cover although it sounded more like an estimate than a definite.  Can anyone confirm the space needed?  Also how much space do you recommend on all sides?  We are also considering a location next to our house that would have approximately 16" clearance from the side,  is that too close?

Thanks

**** We are getting a BullFrog R7 with the standard cover.

Hmmm - all I can comment is how my own spa sits (and has sat, since 1988).  The 7' square CalSpa sits on my 8-foot patio, there's less than 8" space between on of its sides and the block wall of the house.  The other three sides are accessible. 

For maybe the first 15 years I didn't have a cover lifter or support at all.  Then I got (from online spa pars dealer) a set of two brackets which mounted to the side of the spa, so I fold up the cover and let the cover rest against the brackets.  Something like in the picture below except that my brackets angle up and have zero moving parts or wheels, see photo.  I think the dealer is thinking that the cover "must" fold towards the house itself, instead of a different side.  Some cover lifters will mount to the opposite sides (where mine mounts at one end like in the photo) so access to mount those could be an issue after initial installation if something goes wrong with the cover lifter or its mounting.

51lVDTsH5ZL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

DSC07531.JPG