Temperature / filtration cycle

Hello. I have a South Seas Spa and we've always kept it on the Eco mode and set about 100-101 and the filter cycle set to 2. Just yesterday it started running filtration around the clock. The display reads 104 (the max temp) but I have it set on 99 (I have a pool thermometer in there and it reads about 100/101). So would a (false) reading of 104 make the filtration run 24/7? The "heat" light isn't on as it's running.  And what would make it have a reading of 104, when I don't think it actually that hot - a bad thermostat? My husband hast turned it off at the breaker twice , even letting it set over night and it continued to do the same thing today.

Is the tub in direct sunlight?  This time of the year my tub gets full sun exposure most all day long and it will get HOT in that tub (hottest I've seen is 105, but I also take the cover off for an hour before use to help bleed off some of that heat every night. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 5:31 AM, ratchett said:

Is the tub in direct sunlight?  This time of the year my tub gets full sun exposure most all day long and it will get HOT in that tub (hottest I've seen is 105, but I also take the cover off for an hour before use to help bleed off some of that heat every night. 

I can attest the above statement.  My heater is usually turned off in the summer, but the temperature will remain 100+.  It gets direct sunlight most of the day on the side the exposed plumbing is on.  I have sometimes had to dump ice in it to cool it off enough to get in.  This doesn't explain the constant pump running (which will also heat the water through friction).  I would suggest you have a bad relay on the circuit board for the pump (or the entire board is fried, which would explain the inaccurate temp reading).  Try giving it a tap to see if it resets and turns the pump off (though this may only be a temporary fix if the relay is sticking).  Take a good look at the circuit board looking for any signs of excess heat on the solder points.

John

Cool the Hot Tub in a hot summer!

We just bought our 6th hot tub and were very happy with it until the Arizona summer oven hit. The temps are regularly above 110 degrees. This summer is setting records. If we leave the insulated cover on the tub it will easily see water temps of 105. Way too warm to sit in, especially if the morning temp is already at 90. We left for a weekend vacation to California and came back to an error code of ” OH ” (which we found out it meant the spa was over heating)
What to do??? 

We tried putting in frozen milk jugs of water, but that only cooled down the water temp a couple of degrees. A chiller was recommended but that would be out of our price range. We also tried putting the tub in economy mode but that didn't work either.
I did notice that that swimming pools in our area are not covered and they never get that hot. So why wouldn't that work for our spa in the summer time. But we didn't want to have leaves and debris get into the tub.  We wanted to have something that would allow cooling but still keep debris out, so we bought a fiberglass screen that is meant to cover screen doors (Amazon). In the evening we would pull open half of the insulating cover and put the screen over the uncovered part of the spa. We usually sit in our spa in the mornings) Like I said on some evenings it only cools down to 90. But by leaving it half open overnight, the water temp would cool down to a more tolerable 95 to 98 for our morning soak.
So with the idea that more is better, we bought some PVC and a fiberglass screen that would cover the whole tub. We put together the PVC to create a frame and laced in the  screen and now have that to cover the tub. With the tub open all day long the water temp reads a high of 93. It may go lower than that but we have the heater set at 93. Success, so far!!!
Will let you know if we are getting too much dust and other fine particles in the water. A frequent cleaning of the filter will tell us something, I hope.
Let's see how this works out.

sreno

spa screen 2.jpg