Hot Spot SX 2012

I would like to know if my two speed  Wavemaster 6000  model number# 39583 on my Hot Spot SX 2012 has a start capacitor AND a run capacitor??  I am trying to decipher if the housing on top of this pump is a Run or a Start capacitor?  My low speed does not work so I think I need to replace the start capacitor.  If that is not it on top and it inside on the end of pumpr I will need to take pump out to get to it.  Which means emptying the spa of all the water AGAIN.  I am also thinking that if I need to remove complete pump that I should just get a new one while I am going through all the work??

20200719_125633.jpg

20200719_125639.jpg

On the other side of the motor there should be a manufacturers sticker. Watkins diesn't make motors, they buy them from whoever has the best price at that time, so motor brand can vary. I need to know the motor brand to help you. From looking I suspect the start cap is under the back cover.

if having to remove motor and empty spa of water would you think it be prudent to just replace the 2012 motor with a new one??   If so, what are the replacements to be looking for?  Can we bump up the 1.5 to  a 2HP? would that be advisable?  Or should we just work with the start capacitor? Maybe even replace the run capacitor while we are at it.

thanks so much for all your input

I don't like to upsize the pump. It may be fine, but it may cause problems. As long as it is not severely rusted I would bring it to a motor shop for a rebuild. New capacitors, bearings, seal, and start switch. But a new one might be easier in the current circumstances.

I am researching for my husband.  In asking questions in has come to my attention that I am using the terms "pump" and "motor" interchangeably.  These are two separate things, correct?  When you buy a motor does it come with the pump? 

My low speed (that is not working) would be part of the "motor". and the run and start capacitors are part of the "motor". correct?

Do you replace both parts?

I think if I were to have motor serviced ($$) we might as well purchase a new one. 

My husband was  just going to replace the start capacitor himself (and maybe the run)

A pump assembly, usually called a pump, includes a motor and a "wet end", which is technically the pump. For example, on a car the water pump is driven by a belt that gets power from the engine turning, and is called a pump but has no motor attached. But when shopping for a "spa pump" you will find what are technically pump assemblies with motor attached, and if you wanted just the part that moves the water you would have to search for "wet end".

• 1 year later...

Hello. I have a hotspot sx. It looks like the same tub you have and I was wondering if you could post pictures of the plumbing behind the access panel? Mainly on the left hand side. I bought mine used and only half the jets are working, When i look inside i find there is a hose that is cut and capped. I am thinking someone was in there and did a quick fix to make it work but not a proper one. Any information would be helpful as I cannot find a plumbing schematic anywhere..