Hot Springs Vanguard VV

Hello all, I am brand new to the hot tub world as I was just given an older model (2005) Vanguard hot tub. I have a couple questions that hopefully some of you can help me with or at least point me in the right direction.  Ive been scouring the interwebz the last couple weeks educating myself in the general knowledge of these things and on my unit specifically. Which has proven to be harder than I thought for this older unit.

First question- The power and ready lights are flashing. From the research I have done this is due to a couple things. Filters are clean and the 2 temp sensors on the heater all looked good. No buildup.  I also took the heater control board off to check for a bad(burnt) spot and everything looked fine to me. Hooked everything back up as it was, flipped the breaker and bam, the heater light was on and it start heating the tub. I set the temp to 100 and left it alone for several hours.  Here is where my second question comes in.... When I turn on the Jets (jet 1, jet 2 or jet 2 on high) they will only run for a minute or so before cutting off. After about a minute they will cut back on.  I added some hot tub cleaner to the water thinking maybe there was major buildup in the lines causing the pumps to get hot and cut off but after a couple days its still doing the same thing and not getting better. 

The heater, both pumps and motors were replaced in 2016. Since the replacements, the hot tub has not been used. its been on with the recirculation pump running and water maintained. Just never sat in and used if that makes sense.

Any advice what to try or do is greatly appreciated!

7 hours ago, EPIC CAJUN said:

temp sensors on the heater all looked good. No buildup.

You cannot visually inspect sensors.

it start heating the tub.

Probably had an air lock. Fill through the filter well with filters out.

only run for a minute or so before cutting off

Post a pic of the breaker box, circuit board, and pump label showing motor stats.

Just never sat in and used

It doesn't matter at all if anyone ever got in it. In fact, if they never used it they probably didn't maintain it either, which could be a BIG problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply hopefully I can answer all your questions.

1-  I removed the two sensors from the heater and wiped each one with a paper towel. I understand internally they could be damaged but what I was intending was they appeared to be ok as far as buildup and whatnot is concerned.

2-  The tub was filled by sticking the hose in the grey stand pipe. But I guess it still could have had an air lock.

3-  Ill try and figure out how to attach pics for this tho In the back of my mind I have wondered if the breaker box is wrong. The manual (and everywhere else Ive seen) shows two breakers outside close to the unit. One 30 amp (heater) and 1 20 amp (pumps). My electrician installed a 50 amp quick disconnect like the ones you find at your air conditioner outside. He looked at the schematic on the back cover if the IQ2020 as well as read the section in the owners manual stating the requirements for the hot tub. This was my father in laws hot tub and he had it hooked up with a 30 and 20 breaker outside.  I have a feeling what this guy did is not ok.

4-  This was my father in laws hot tub so I know the water was maintained as far as PH, Chlorine etc. BUT yes I agree totally, not actually using it is a big issue.

Thanks for your help!

Disconect 2.jpg

Disconnect.jpg

Pump.jpg

You need to get the wiring correct.  Should be a 20 and 30 amp gfci in the sub box.  The 20 won't have a nuetral but the 30 will so you need 4 wire for that.  I have a OEM hot springs box with the dual 20/30 gfci breakers if you need one cheap I wired mine to my pool automation panel nearby and it uses different breakers so had to bite the bullet 

OK so I was able to have another electrician come out and hook up the proper outside  breaker panel with the proper wiring according to the schematic on the IQ2020 lid.   

Now I have a new problem.  The 20 amp trips. And from my research when this is the case, it’s because of the way the breaker is wired as mentioned in a post above.  

We have come to the possible conclusion that the way it was wired up by the other guy might have damaged something on the circuit board itself.   

pics of how new Breaker is wired up.  

3427C620-D670-41FC-9F58-0AB40F49805B.jpeg

908B035C-2AC5-4869-A8F7-16C8E138DF3C.jpeg