Hot Spot SX 2012

Hi there,

My two speed Wavemaster 6000 does not seem to run on low speed.  It just hums for about 10 seconds then shuts off. However, it will run on high speed.  My display is also not displaying properly so I am not sure of the error codes that I might be receiving. I have a 2012 Hot Spot SX. Any way to figure out if it is the motor or a control panel not reading/registering properly?  Is there a starter capacitor for the low speed and a run capacitor for the high speed? And what is this high-temp reset switch that I keep running across in comments?  Also, my "ready" light keeps flashing on control panel. .  AAAAArrrrrrgggggg

You likely have a bad capacitor. It is typical to start in high but not low. It is not the only possibility, but is the most likely. If you can get to the back of the motor and access the motor shaft it should have a slot or keyed shaft. While it is humming spin the shaft, if it starts it is a bad capacitor or start switch.

• Like 1

we keep coming back to the start capacitor.  How is it that the high speed works if there is a bad start capacitor? And

it seems near impossible to reach it as the capacitor on the pump is in a corner.

We do have a two speed pump correct?  Which would mean we have a start and a run capacitor.  With the run capacitor on the top of pump.

20200719_125633.jpg

20200719_125639.jpg

Not all motors have run capacitors.

In low speed, your motor pulls about 1/4 of the amps, so creates 1/4 of the power, as high speed. It needs a capacitor to help it overcome inertia in low, but creates sufficient power in high to not need the boost that the capacitor gives it.

I don't know what reset you mean. Are you talking about the thermal cutout in the motor? That is a self-resetting breaker designed to prevent your motor from burning itself out under various circumstances. It is internal to the motor and cannot be accessed.

• Like 1