2017 Hotspring Hotspot SX- Jet control trips GFCI

RobJ

The GFCI was tripped on our spa so I reset it. The control panel comes on whenever I reset the GFCI  but as soon as I push the button to turn on the jets, the GFCI will trip. I took the service panel off the front of the spa and I can see the pump is leaking just a little. I removed the cover off the electric control panel box and found a blackened, overheated plug on a jumper wire between two terminals, both labeled Jet 1&2. There's a small white arrow in the first photo pointing to the burned plug. The other photo is a detail of it.

I plan to call the store when they reopen after the holiday and have somebody look at it but I like to have an idea what may be going on and to understand what the service person will be talking about. If you appear somewhat knowledgeable you may be less likely to be taken for a ride. I'll do a lot of repairs on most everything but usually I'm not going to be sitting in water after I do an electrical repair.

I'm wondering if the pump may be seized causing the overheated wire? I'm concerned regarding that overheated plug/wire on the main control board.

Thanks for any knowledge you all can send my way.

spa 02.jpg

spa 01.jpg

I doubt the pump is seized, if it was it would try to run first.  It's possible that if the pump leaks badly when running that the motor is wet and once it dries out it may not trip the GFCI.  More than likely since you have a burned wire that there is an issue with the circuit board.  

It looks like a loose terminal connector to me, but could be a pump issue. It may have got hot enough to damage the board, can't tell from here. 

The motor could trip it from a leak, or it could be damaged. If it is damaged it will run or hum or buzz for a few seconds before it trips. If it goes immediately it is likely just wet. 

Where exactly does it leak?

Leaking pump seal and when it spins up the dripping water is sucked into the front of the pump likely causing a short. As for the red wire I would remove the board and look on the back side for darkened or burnt areas around the relays. If there is a burnt relay it can usually be repaired fairly cheap so don't let them say you need a new board if it can be repaired at a fraction of the cost. If you remove it post up a few pics of the backside of the board and we can tell you if it is repairable. Removing it is not that hard just take lots of photos and masking tape each wire with it's location marked on it so you know where everything goes. Can't be but a dozen wires and half dozen plug in connectors.