Artic Spa impressions?

Guest Paul

PH carodes the pillows or just moisture being trapped by the cover over a year or two become discolored and rotted to some extent. Coleman pillows are from 7-22 dollars. Just to give you an idea

I can afford to leave my pillows in all the time. I don't want to mess with them, besides mine are almost 5 years old and they still look like new so if I have to replace them every 6-7 or even 8-10 years thats cheap. Maybe there's brands they don't last as long on but even if it was every 2 years or so and they were 10-20 even 30-40 bucks I would still leave them in until they are really ugly then buy new. I got a tub to relax not baby sit a piece of equipment.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can afford to leave my pillows in all the time. I don't want to mess with them, besides mine are almost 5 years old and they still look like new so if I have to replace them every 6-7 or even 8-10 years thats cheap. Maybe there's brands they don't last as long on but even if it was every 2 years or so and they were 10-20 even 30-40 bucks I would still leave them in until they are really ugly then buy new. I got a tub to relax not baby sit a piece of equipment.

If I had to install and remove my pillows every time I used the spa, it wouldn't get much use. I like to make it as easy as possibe. I have even opted against a floating blanket because I don't want to deal with it.

If I had to install and remove my pillows every time I used the spa, it wouldn't get much use. I like to make it as easy as possibe. I have even opted against a floating blanket because I don't want to deal with it.

AMEN, you and I think alike. If you make the spa experience a hassle in any way it lessens ones desire to use it. Removing pillows after each use is about as fun as having a spa with no cover lifter. If the pillows are that troublesome then I'd say get a better pillow.

Makes sense. After all, it is me who can't seem to find the time to take the panel off to check the motor mounts but manages to find 40 minutes every evening for a soak. :D

I'm not gonna lose sleep over spa pillow upkeep but I'm still sorta disappointed that within a month getting my new spa one of the durn pillows won't stay put. No biggie. I got three others.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over spa pillow upkeep but I'm still sorta disappointed that within a month getting my new spa one of the durn pillows won't stay put. No biggie. I got three others.

Go ahead and let your dealer know. While the pillows by definition may not be under warranty many dealers take pride enough in their product to realize this shouldn't be a hassle with month #1 and they may want to fix your issue even if the don't have to.

Go ahead and let your dealer know. While the pillows by definition may not be under warranty many dealers take pride enough in their product to realize this shouldn't be a hassle with month #1 and they may want to fix your issue even if the don't have to.

Dont feel bad because Coleman pillows are horrible

I hardly use my pillows anyways, got a solid head and guess i don't need them (thick skulled? lol). I put them in mainly when guests come by for thier comfort, otherwise, doesn't bother me (heck, i go out hunting in the bush and take my afternoon naps on a rock).

• 2 weeks later...

>>I've noticed that the #1 pump has gotten louder ...Also, one of the "pillows" won't stay put. It pops out of it's slot and I can't figure out why.<<

Finally called the Arctic dealer, yesterday, and this morning I received a call back from their service tech who was on his way. Unfortunately for me I couldn't be there as I had scheduled work elsewhere in the state. He did call me, again later, while he was at our tub to report that he found nothing *wrong* with the pump. He also mentioned that the water looked great (rah rah BaquaSpa). But he was surprised when I told him we USE BaquaSpa. Then he told me that I shouldn't be using the disposable plastic fiber filter in conjunction with BaquaSpa! And he started back pedaling when I told him that the sales guy had said it was okay to combine BaquaSpa and the disposable filter. But then he said that BaquaSpa will break down that kind of filter and when I asked him how you can tell that it's happening he said you'll see little plastic fibers floating around. I haven't noticed any fibers floating around. This might be more BaquaSpa bashing. I dunno. Stuff seems to be working for us.

Service tech said he'd leave a new pillow, too.

Okay. I'm disappointed I couldn't be here when he came out. I didn't get to ask him those in-the-field questions that we as wanna-be engineers pester unfortunate service techs with. ;-)

I'm also disappointed about that sound issue but maybe there's something about harmonics or resonance that has to do with the particular environment my tub is in: patio, fencing, house. I'm bettin' it can be dampened.

All in all, though I'm damn happy there's nothin' wrong with the tub! It's a fine one!

Oh. Forgot to add that after 3 weeks I finally had to add maybe 30 gallons of water. That just amazes me that there isn't more evaporation. Also, contrary to BaquaSpa's suggestion that you wash the underside of the cover every couple of weeks, I haven't done it once, yet. There's no grime or detectable residue. Looks as clean as Day 1.

He isne't Baqua bashing. When people use too much of the Baqua it does break down the disposiable filters. I sell both Baqua and Arcitc Spas. Keep us informed.

Thanks,

Michael

Oh. Thanks for adding that. I didn't know.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Our new Arctic Frontier was delivered and installed the last week of December 2005.

We keep the tub water at 103 degrees F 24/7.

Our electric usage for January 2006 is up 257 KwH over January 2005.

Our average daily usage is 7.8 KwH.

The current cost of electricity is fifteen cents per KwH.

Estimated daily cost to run the tub is $1.17

Approximate increase in monthly bill is $38.50

Our new Arctic Frontier was delivered and installed the last week of December 2005.

We keep the tub water at 103 degrees F 24/7.

Our electric usage for January 2006 is up 257 KwH over January 2005.

Our average daily usage is 7.8 KwH.

The current cost of electricity is fifteen cents per KwH.

Estimated daily cost to run the tub is $1.17

Approximate increase in monthly bill is $38.50

So by that token the cost to run the spa in Michigan now that the cost per KwH is $0.08 would be $20.

at $0.05 the cost of operation $12.85

Pretty good if you ask me!

Michael

So by that token the cost to run the spa in Michigan now that the cost per KwH is $0.08 would be $20.

at $0.05 the cost of operation $12.85

Pretty good if you ask me!

Michael

12.5 cents per kwh on long island but just an increase last month. That same bill @ 8 cents will be double and a Coleman spa in Long island is 38 dollars a month on average

When people use too much of the Baqua it does break down the disposiable filters. I sell both Baqua and Arcitc Spas. Keep us informed.

Thanks,

Michael

Today marks the 9 1/2 week point of my tub being up and running. Since the disposable filter was light brownish in color all the way through to the plastic center core, I decided to change it out today. Still haven't noticed any plastic fibers floatin' around nor any discernible breakdown of the filter cartidge, itself.

Today marks the 9 1/2 week point of my tub being up and running. Since the disposable filter was light brownish in color all the way through to the plastic center core, I decided to change it out today. Still haven't noticed any plastic fibers floatin' around nor any discernible breakdown of the filter cartidge, itself.

I tossed mine after about a month, but we had very heavy use during that first month (actually, still use it a lot, just not all day, every day, lol). One thing to keep an eye on though, if your filter begins to clog up (this is how i noticed to change my disposable) it can cause the pumps to have to run a little harder and you will get the "HL" error on your display. I changed my filter, reset the breaker and haven't had the problem since. BUT, the owners manual doesn't mention this error message. Arctic website does have it in thier FAQ's and your dealer will most likely know the problem too. Just thought i'd mention it should it happen to you as well. A quick and easy fix.

I tossed mine after about a month, but we had very heavy use during that first month (actually, still use it a lot, just not all day, every day, lol). One thing to keep an eye on though, if your filter begins to clog up (this is how i noticed to change my disposable) it can cause the pumps to have to run a little harder and you will get the "HL" error on your display. I changed my filter, reset the breaker and haven't had the problem since. BUT, the owners manual doesn't mention this error message. Arctic website does have it in thier FAQ's and your dealer will most likely know the problem too. Just thought i'd mention it should it happen to you as well. A quick and easy fix.

The FLO error or HL error is the 1st indicator to change the filter if that doesn't work usually a sensor or switch

Hello,

I tested some Arctic spas not too long ago. From my rather limited wet testing experiences and experiences in other people's hot tubs, I would say they are pretty good.

The units seem rather nicely built, with a solid shell, thick cover (~4.5"), and simple controls. The massage jets are powerful, and have some nice heads on them, providing a variety of different experiences. The lounge is very comfortable, but a tad short for some, depending on the model.

I cannot speak to the reliability of the units, but I did have a couple of concerns. First, the jet 'heads' are some sort of plastic, or plastic composite, which are interchangeable (nice), but held in place with small clips (bad). Once of the heads had fallen off in one of the units I wet tested, presumably due to a previous tester. My concern would be that the clip could easily be broken off when re-inserting the head, resulting in the need for a replacement head. Honestly, the 'head' locking mechanism should be replaced with something better (maybe a pressure plug-locking mechanism?).

My second issue (and this is really my biggest one), is that the head rests are too short. They are a nice, worry-free design (they slide into position), but I need to cock my head back, or slide further down into the spa, in order to use them comfortably. I wish they used nice, comfy head rests like the Caldera spas.

Those complaints aside, the unit felt really stable, and the jets are simply awesome! I really liked the units I tested a lot, and am considering purchasing one. My recommendation would be to go with the 3 jet unit, as opposed to the 2 jet units, as the 2 jet unit simply did not produce enough 'oomph' for me.

DISCLAIMER: -I am just a consumer-

Oh! 1 more thing:

The filters are throw-away units, which means you have to buy a new one every 3 or so months (which I did not care for, either).

Oh! 1 more thing:

The filters are throw-away units, which means you have to buy a new one every 3 or so months (which I did not care for, either).

You do not have to go with the throw away filter. I have 2 reusable filters in my arctic (One in the tub, bring the other in for cleaning, that way always have a clean one to change over too).

I somewhat agree with the headrests. It all depends on your height. In one seat it is perfectly situated for me while in another it is a little too low, while my wife, who is slightly shorter than I, can get full use out of all the headrests. Since we are all not the same height, this is a problem that i could not see being overcome, unless the headrests were made much larger to extend higher. Personally, it doesn't matter to me, as my headrests have sat inside since i bought my tub with the exception of putting them out when guests come over for thier comfort. I just can't be bothered myself and it doesn't bother me.

From an environmental standpoint the disposable filter cartridges AREN'T a good idea: more plastic in the landfill or fueling an incinerator. On the other hand, how environmentally good is the stuff you soak the reusable filters in for x amount hours?

Admittedly, after WANTING a tub for many years and being concerned about the increase in my electric bill and the added load on the grid, I threw my social responsibility out the window when I got an electrically heated outdoor hot tub!!! ;-)

I'm disappointed that one of my pillows won't stay put even after getting a free new replacement. But there isn't any detectable change in comfort without it there so who cares. I'm 6'3" and it's the story of my life that MANY things designed for the general populace don't jive with my dimensions: concert venue seats, most automobiles, clothes, hot tub pillow locations, etc. If ya really want a GREAT pillow, I'm guessing one of those jobbies that hangs over the edge is the way to go.

From an environmental standpoint the disposable filter cartridges AREN'T a good idea: more plastic in the landfill or fueling an incinerator. On the other hand, how environmentally good is the stuff you soak the reusable filters in for x amount hours?

Admittedly, after WANTING a tub for many years and being concerned about the increase in my electric bill and the added load on the grid, I threw my social responsibility out the window when I got an electrically heated outdoor hot tub!!! ;-)

I'm disappointed that one of my pillows won't stay put even after getting a free new replacement. But there isn't any detectable change in comfort without it there so who cares. I'm 6'3" and it's the story of my life that MANY things designed for the general populace don't jive with my dimensions: concert venue seats, most automobiles, clothes, hot tub pillow locations, etc. If ya really want a GREAT pillow, I'm guessing one of those jobbies that hangs over the edge is the way to go.

If you arent cocerned about the looks than it is great

Since I'm primarily the only person using the tub on a daily basis for 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour, I'm thinking I can reduce the frequency AND run time of the filtering cycles. The dealer guy set it for two 2-hour cycles per day and I've reset it to two 1-hour cycles per day. After all, I bathe thoroughly before getting in the tub. How much filtering is there to be done?

Input?

Since I'm primarily the only person using the tub on a daily basis for 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour, I'm thinking I can reduce the frequency AND run time of the filtering cycles. The dealer guy set it for two 2-hour cycles per day and I've reset it to two 1-hour cycles per day. After all, I bathe thoroughly before getting in the tub. How much filtering is there to be done?

Input?

bypass or nonbypass, 100percent filtration?

bypass or nonbypass, 100percent filtration?

Beats heck outta me. Now I'm gonna hafta pore through the dern instructions t' figure out what kind of filtration it is. Unless, of course, an Arctic dealer guy decides to chime in. HELP!