Artic Spa impressions?

Guest Paul

Experiencing our friends' BaquaSpa outdoor tub a few years ago enhanced the desire to get our own setup. I'm just not a chlorine or bromine kinda guy. It's only been a coupla weeks but so far so good. At least among the folks who post their tub experiences, here, are concerned BaquaSpa does seem to get a lot of "negative press" though I'm not clear on the reasons.

We got the Forever Floor, too, because it was "part of the package". I would've requested it, anyway. Just makes sense to me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By golly, this is one of the best things I've treated myself to for one helluva long time! The seating set up is perfectly versatile. Every seat provides a different tubbing experience. I'm finding that, after dark, I prefer to sit in still water or with just the first pump on low speed. When I'm tubbing during the daytime, that's when I like to fool around with the multiple pumps and jets combinations.

I'm amazing at how slow the evaporation rate is! I guess that attests to the tightness and insulation factor provided by the cover.

I'm curious, although not anxious, to see the next electric bill.

By golly, this is one of the best things I've treated myself to for one helluva long time! The seating set up is perfectly versatile. Every seat provides a different tubbing experience. I'm finding that, after dark, I prefer to sit in still water or with just the first pump on low speed. When I'm tubbing during the daytime, that's when I like to fool around with the multiple pumps and jets combinations.

I'm amazing at how slow the evaporation rate is! I guess that attests to the tightness and insulation factor provided by the cover.

I'm curious, although not anxious, to see the next electric bill.

My wife and i enjoy the same thing at night. It's nice when it's quiet out, nothing but stars and just soaking in a tub together with no noise or jets running. It is the only time we really get to enjoy the tub, so we of course turn the jets on after awhile of peacefull soaking. As for the electric bill, i asked my wife if she noticed a difference since it's a bill she takes care of. She said it was nothing noticeable (she would have noticed if it had jumped up a lot). There may still be a bit of a difference as i've switched to using a lot of flourescent bulbs in the house as well as other energy conserving methods, but we'll have to wait and see.

I've also noticed how slow the evaporation rate is. With all the steam coming off the tub, you'd think it would be more. The only time i've had to fill my tub substantially was after having several guests for a tub and it overflowed, but that's to be expected.

Speaking of stars...do any of y'all know of a website that has info relative to upcoming meteor showers? Gettin' up at some crazy hour to look skyward will be sooooo much better in the hot tub than bundled up in layers of clothes, wrapped in my down sleeping bag and reclining on the cold metal chaise lounge!

When we first got our Arctic Frontier tub, the dealer told us that "they usually fill it up to just below the head pillows" and he didn't say you shouldn't fill it any higher. So, of course, after the first coupla days I filled it up to just even with the "lip" atop which sit all the balancing valve handle doohickies. I noticed that when one person got in, then, the water would go up and immerse the bottom half inch of the control panel and I reasoned that that wasn't such a big deal since the the thing IS intended to be immersed a lot, isn't it?

Well, yesterday, I added some more water and brought the unoccupied level up to about a half inch below that same lip and I noticed that, perhaps, the filter skimmer thing isn't able to pull in water as effectively when the water level is up too high.

On a entirely different note, my partner figured out a neat way to have both a dry AND a warm towel waiting for her when she exits the tub. She brings out a bath towel sealed in a Ziplock bag and lets it float around while she soaks.

A lot of the fun with having one of these things is the "customizing".

:rolleyes:

Speaking of stars...do any of y'all know of a website that has info relative to upcoming meteor showers? Gettin' up at some crazy hour to look skyward will be sooooo much better in the hot tub than bundled up in layers of clothes, wrapped in my down sleeping bag and reclining on the cold metal chaise lounge!

When we first got our Arctic Frontier tub, the dealer told us that "they usually fill it up to just below the head pillows" and he didn't say you shouldn't fill it any higher. So, of course, after the first coupla days I filled it up to just even with the "lip" atop which sit all the balancing valve handle doohickies. I noticed that when one person got in, then, the water would go up and immerse the bottom half inch of the control panel and I reasoned that that wasn't such a big deal since the the thing IS intended to be immersed a lot, isn't it?

Well, yesterday, I added some more water and brought the unoccupied level up to about a half inch below that same lip and I noticed that, perhaps, the filter skimmer thing isn't able to pull in water as effectively when the water level is up too high.

On a entirely different note, my partner figured out a neat way to have both a dry AND a warm towel waiting for her when she exits the tub. She brings out a bath towel sealed in a Ziplock bag and lets it float around while she soaks.

A lot of the fun with having one of these things is the "customizing".

:rolleyes:

Smilin, I talked to my dealer about the water level being up too high also. The only real thing that isn't even to worry about is that the water gets into the therapy air and the blower for air. So basically, if the water level is too high, you lose your air. The water is not to worry about as it will drain through the drainage hole in the bottom of the tub.

As for a list of meteor showers, there are several websites out there (dabbled in astronomy a bit myself). Your best bet is to pick up a monthly magazine called "skynews", it lists all kinds of events. Or you could do a google search for meteor showers in your area and numerous sites should come up (while meteor showers can be viewed all over, they are usually better in some areas than others, and remember that city lights will affect your visibility of the sky, and keep the hot tub lights off, yard lights, ect as much as possible to get the best view).

Thanks for the water level info, Kahuna! It won't make any difference then, because, since they cool down the water temperature, I'm not running the air therapy jets during the winter anyway. Only times I've turned 'em on is to "wow" guests.

Fortunately, there is minimal nighttime "light polllution" in our neighborhood and the night sky is quite visible. There's a great newsstand in a nearby city that I'll look for Skynews at. Appreciate the tip.

Today's hot tub lesson: Pay attention to the weather. If precipitation is anticipated, take a few moments to cover the tub's insulated top with a tarpaulin.

I just went out to unlock the tub cover and open it so I could have a soak and found that what I thought was a light dusting of snow is actually an inch of frozen rain and snow. Damn near busted a gut gettin' the thing up and off the tub! :(

Today's hot tub lesson: Pay attention to the weather. If precipitation is anticipated, take a few moments to cover the tub's insulated top with a tarpaulin.

I just went out to unlock the tub cover and open it so I could have a soak and found that what I thought was a light dusting of snow is actually an inch of frozen rain and snow. Damn near busted a gut gettin' the thing up and off the tub! :(

Ran into the same problem with my tub. More of the problem was actually the lock system on the arctic spas. I like the way they actually have a padlock though. The only thing is that the water ran down the straps and froze over the padlocks. Thankfully, the locks are metal and i was able to quickly thaw them with my lighter. I now take the locks in the house often (twice a week while my cover is open during a shock) and warm them up and let the humidity dry out, then give them a spray with wd-40 to remove any other moisture and this keeps them working well. As for the clips, i have a heatgun to warm them if they do freeze, which they haven't (yet).

Ran into the same problem with my tub. More of the problem was actually the lock system on the arctic spas. I like the way they actually have a padlock though. The only thing is that the water ran down the straps and froze over the padlocks. Thankfully, the locks are metal and i was able to quickly thaw them with my lighter. I now take the locks in the house often (twice a week while my cover is open during a shock) and warm them up and let the humidity dry out, then give them a spray with wd-40 to remove any other moisture and this keeps them working well. As for the clips, i have a heatgun to warm them if they do freeze, which they haven't (yet).

Hmmmm...I think I'll adapt the WD-40 idea, too. The little locks ARE a great idea as are the clips. The delivery guy who installed them on site, however, positioned all of 'em a tad to close to the vertical trim molding at the corners. On a freakin' frigid winter night when my fingers ain't so pliable it can be a momentary pain in the ass getting both of the springloaded stops to release simultaneously. I reason that if little Houdini manages to pick the locks, he won't get buy the catch mechanisms because like all little kids he'll have left his mittens at home. I'll remount them, all, come warm weather.

I'll take from your "frozen" lesson to be sure to overhang the tarp on those lock mechanisms so I can avoid having to thaw them with my lighter. Ugh!

Okay. Inadvertantly I discovered what I suspect is the service technicians guarded gateway into the on-board computer diagnostics. By depressing the #3 pump switch for ten seconds, an extensive (coded) menu appeared on the screen. At some point, I'll be pestering Arctic to reveal those codes.

Okay. Inadvertantly I discovered what I suspect is the service technicians guarded gateway into the on-board computer diagnostics. By depressing the #3 pump switch for ten seconds, an extensive (coded) menu appeared on the screen. At some point, I'll be pestering Arctic to reveal those codes.

Hmmm, interesting, i'm going to have to check this on mine too now, lol. Let me know if you find anything out.

Over the past week, I've noticed that the #1 pump has gotten louder when it's running on temperature boost and/or filter cycle. It's so loud that, if the tub was inside instead of outdoors, I'd find it intolerable. I'm so tempted to pull off an access panel and investigate it, myself, but since I've only had it for just over one month, I'm resisting and planning to put in a call for service, tomorrow. Also, one of the "pillows" won't stay put. It pops out of it's slot and I can't figure out why.

:unsure:

Over the past week, I've noticed that the #1 pump has gotten louder when it's running on temperature boost and/or filter cycle. It's so loud that, if the tub was inside instead of outdoors, I'd find it intolerable. I'm so tempted to pull off an access panel and investigate it, myself, but since I've only had it for just over one month, I'm resisting and planning to put in a call for service, tomorrow. Also, one of the "pillows" won't stay put. It pops out of it's slot and I can't figure out why.

:unsure:

Sometime and alot of the times it is a folty bearing in the motor or a put shaft in the motor is rattling and they will just swap it out and wallaaa. One of the clips on the pillow probably snapped that hold it in there. Good luck and let me know what happens. Find out what went wrong with the motor because I would like to know. thanks brandon

The motor mount might have came loose. All you need to do is take a door off and tighten down one bolt by the motor. As far as the pillow falling out is your water level higher then the pillow? You might be able to switch the pillow at the store you purchased your spa from.

Michael

You're right mike. I had that problem in a Coleman when we had wood and foam and it would rattle because it wasn't bolted in. than if that isn't the problem than consider a motor swap

Thanks, Guys. I haven't put in for a service call, yet, as I'll probably want to be here when they come out and it'll require my juggling my work schedule to accomodate their visit, too. Maybe I WILL take a panel off, instead, just to have a look see, myself. I'll keep you posted.

The pillow thing has me baffled as there aren't any "clips" to have come off. The Arctic pillows just slide down into a slot of sorts. There is one teensy weensy little piece of rubber that is missing from one of the notches on the pillow but I can't see how THAT would be the problem. Instead, it almost seems like the pillow "shrunk" just a smidgin and is, now, just a millimeter smaller and thereby loose. I'll ask for another pillow.

Thanks, Guys. I haven't put in for a service call, yet, as I'll probably want to be here when they come out and it'll require my juggling my work schedule to accomodate their visit, too. Maybe I WILL take a panel off, instead, just to have a look see, myself. I'll keep you posted.

The pillow thing has me baffled as there aren't any "clips" to have come off. The Arctic pillows just slide down into a slot of sorts. There is one teensy weensy little piece of rubber that is missing from one of the notches on the pillow but I can't see how THAT would be the problem. Instead, it almost seems like the pillow "shrunk" just a smidgin and is, now, just a millimeter smaller and thereby loose. I'll ask for another pillow.

I find that the pillows will slide out if the water level is a little higher, and if they are not "water logged". If you remove yours from your tub after you soak, and they dry out, they will shrink slightly. Leaving them in the tub of course will reduce the life of them, but they will tend to hold water, swell up, and stay in place better, at least this is what i've found. I still choose to remove mine, and if i'm using them they don't come loose too often (unless i'm moving around a lot).

I find that the pillows will slide out if the water level is a little higher, and if they are not "water logged". If you remove yours from your tub after you soak, and they dry out, they will shrink slightly. Leaving them in the tub of course will reduce the life of them, but they will tend to hold water, swell up, and stay in place better, at least this is what i've found. I still choose to remove mine, and if i'm using them they don't come loose too often (unless i'm moving around a lot).

Might sound crazy but you might want to take the pillows out of the tub everytime you are not using your tub to prolong the life of the pillows. Those little suckers add up after a while.

Really? In what way do the pillows deteriorate, anyway? Are you talking about Arctic pillows or another brand? How much are replacements?

It doesn't matter what brand spa, the chems in the tub and the water, along with the high temperatures will eventually take thier toll on any spa pillow, that's why they are replaceable. But yes, to get longer life, take them out when you are not using them.

Really? In what way do the pillows deteriorate, anyway? Are you talking about Arctic pillows or another brand? How much are replacements?

PH carodes the pillows or just moisture being trapped by the cover over a year or two become discolored and rotted to some extent. Coleman pillows are from 7-22 dollars. Just to give you an idea