Artic Spa impressions?

Guest Paul

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked at HotSpring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Dimension1 and Arctic. Wet tested them all. I thought the Arctic had the most comfortable seats and had the best jets because most of the jets in the model I sat moved/rotated creating a massage effect instead of just shooting streams. I thought the HS Motomassage was highly overrated and not very therapeutic. Dimension put a lot of deep seats in their tubs so if you are tall you might like them. I thought the Jacuzzi jets felt better than the Sundance jets becaue the streams came through larger orifices and weren't as needle like.

Arctic make two ozones - Arctic ozone and Peak Ozone.

Arctic ozone only runs when the filter/heating cycles run so it's not a true 24 hour circ pump style system. Although the ozone output at .18 grams/hour is better than average it may not be worth it simply because it's not introduced to the water enough to make a difference.

Peak ozone operates on its own 24 hour circ pump and puts out 0.5 grams/hour of ozone through an elaborate mixing chamber. That is a large amount of ozone to be continually introduced and the chamber insures optimum absorbtion into the water.

No, I'm not a dealer. I'm a guy who has done a lot of homework. If you like the seats and jets, you can't go wrong with an Arctic.

((((((((((.18 grams/hour is better than average it may not be worth it simply because it's not introduced to the water enough to make a difference.

Peak ozone operates on its own 24 hour circ pump and puts out 0.5 grams/hour of ozone through an elaborate mixing chamber. That is a large amount of ozone to be continually introduced))))))))))))))

I'd like to know where this Ozone measuring data came from?

What exactly is an "elaborate mixing chamber" A chunk of tubing?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I remembered this sarcastic comment. It's clear your extreme bias just by that statement. But this the best description I could find and is from one of the managing owners of Arctic. Yea, it'a bit more than a chunk of tubing. Arctic has descriptive literature but not as detailed as this was.

"1) We use a corona discharge ozone generator that was designed for swimming pool applications. It produces 500mg/h of ozone at a concentration of 1400ppm.

2) Because we are producing so much ozone, we have to adequately mix it and then destroy any off-gas that has not dissolved into solution. To do that we require:

a) A special circulation pump that is capable of performing in a highly corrosive application. The pump we use costs more then a standard jet pump.

b ) We then need a mazzei injector to help break up the ozone so that in can more readily dissolve into solution.

c) From there we need a stainless steel static mixing column with ,high surface area Tri-pac in it, to further help mix the ozone into solution

d) Then it goes into another stainless steel off-gas chamber, which is designed to draw off any undissolved gas.

e) The undissolved gas is then drawn through a catalytic filter, which converts the ozone back to oxygen."

Does it work in practice? Is Ozone effective at all? I believe Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and it's use in water treatment plants suggests it can have an effect. I chose the upgrade in the hope of reducing chemical use (for comfort purposes) and making water maintenance as painless as possible. The local dealer indicated based on anticipated load/use that we really didn't need it and not to expect a payback in chemical costs (which did not enter into the decision).

Sorry, but I'm with Roger on this one.........

"It's clear your extreme bias just by that statement. But this the best description I could find and is from one of the managing owners of Arctic."

So you're taking at face value the propaganda of the manufacturer?

"A special circulation pump that is capable of performing in a highly corrosive application. The pump we use costs more then a standard jet pump."

Standard? Just what is "standard?

"We then need a mazzei injector to help break up the ozone so that in can more readily dissolve into solution. "

The key there is "can more readily dissolve"........ it doesn't say "wil" or "does"............ Just that it "can".

"Then it goes into another stainless steel off-gas chamber, which is designed to draw off any undissolved gas."

Designed to? Ok, but does it actually?

"The undissolved gas is then drawn through a catalytic filter, which converts the ozone back to oxygen."

This in itself tells me the entire statement is a fabrication. Ozone does not convert back to O2 100%. Not even close. When the single atom of O breaks away from the O3 molicule it attaches itsel to the CLOSEST molicule it can find........ 80% of what's available is nitrogen. By their own accounts "ozone at a concentration of 1400ppm", this gives only a 14 in 10,000 chance that the O atom will combine with another O atom.

"I believe Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and it's use in water treatment plants suggests it can have an effect."

Yes it is, and it can. But the method of use in water treatment is SO different than in spas, one can't even begin to compare them.

"I chose the upgrade in the hope of reducing chemical use (for comfort purposes)"

And it does. But, not in the way most think.

a) A special circulation pump that is capable of performing in a highly corrosive application. The pump we use costs more then a standard jet pump.

b ) We then need a mazzei injector to help break up the ozone so that in can more readily dissolve into solution.

Does it work in practice? Is Ozone effective at all?

a) Hmm, maybe I'm assuming too much and it's true that I'm not an expert on Arctic's setup but don't they place the circ pump BEFORE the ozone injection point so that the ozone would not be running through it? If so, what's this about a "special" circ pump? If the ozone injectino point is indeed before the pump then I just learned something new about them.

B) Of course you need a mazzei injector, so does every other reputable spa. Nothing different here.

Is ozone efffective? I certainly believe so but I would skip the UV type and go with a CD ozone. It is well worth the added cost. In fact I'd probably go with no ozone before I'd go with the UV type.

Sorry, but I'm with Roger on this one.........

"It's clear your extreme bias just by that statement. But this the best description I could find and is from one of the managing owners of Arctic."

So you're taking at face value the propaganda of the manufacturer?

"A special circulation pump that is capable of performing in a highly corrosive application. The pump we use costs more then a standard jet pump."

Standard? Just what is "standard?

"We then need a mazzei injector to help break up the ozone so that in can more readily dissolve into solution. "

The key there is "can more readily dissolve"........ it doesn't say "wil" or "does"............ Just that it "can".

"Then it goes into another stainless steel off-gas chamber, which is designed to draw off any undissolved gas."

Designed to? Ok, but does it actually?

"The undissolved gas is then drawn through a catalytic filter, which converts the ozone back to oxygen."

This in itself tells me the entire statement is a fabrication. Ozone does not convert back to O2 100%. Not even close. When the single atom of O breaks away from the O3 molicule it attaches itsel to the CLOSEST molicule it can find........ 80% of what's available is nitrogen. By their own accounts "ozone at a concentration of 1400ppm", this gives only a 14 in 10,000 chance that the O atom will combine with another O atom.

"I believe Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and it's use in water treatment plants suggests it can have an effect."

Yes it is, and it can. But the method of use in water treatment is SO different than in spas, one can't even begin to compare them.

"I chose the upgrade in the hope of reducing chemical use (for comfort purposes)"

And it does. But, not in the way most think.

I talked to an engineer that works on ozone systems last week and he told me that you need a tube 8ft vertical to gas off ozone 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know where this Ozone measuring data came from?

The information on Peak Ozone was supplied to stl-rex by James Keirstead, one of our owners and a co-inventor of the Peak O3 system, but the ozone output figures were provided by Del Ozone (http://www.delozone.com/). The Delzone site also contains information about the effectiveness of ozone purification.

The "elaborate mixing chamber" is made from stainless steel and contains a device to increase agitation and exposure time. For more details, please check our web site or visit one of our dealers.

I'm not sure Dr. Spa has the off-gas chemistry right. A free oxygen radical will attach to other molecules, as he points out, but in order to do so it must displace another atom; nitrogen gas as N2 is relatively stable, and it takes two free oxygen radicals to replace one nitrogen atom to form a N+ ion and a molecule of nitrous oxide, NO2. Instead, the two free O- radicals more readily combine to form another molecule of oxygen.

There's more to the story. In order to bolster the re-formation of oxygen, the off-gas chamber contains a catalyst, which makes a chemical reaction more efficient while remaining intact itself. It is the presence of the catalyst which makes the foot-long off-gas chamber effective so an eight foot tube (as another post suggested) is not required.

Happy Hot Tubbin'

Tom Gray, BSc, BEd

Arctic Spas

I thought I remembered this sarcastic comment. It's clear your extreme bias just by that statement. But this the best description I could find and is from one of the managing owners of Arctic. Yea, it'a bit more than a chunk of tubing. Arctic has descriptive literature but not as detailed as this was.

"1) We use a corona discharge ozone generator that was designed for swimming pool applications. It produces 500mg/h of ozone at a concentration of 1400ppm.

2) Because we are producing so much ozone, we have to adequately mix it and then destroy any off-gas that has not dissolved into solution. To do that we require:

c) From there we need a stainless steel static mixing column with ,high surface area Tri-pac in it, to further help mix the ozone into solution

d) Then it goes into another stainless steel off-gas chamber, which is designed to draw off any undissolved gas.

e) The undissolved gas is then drawn through a catalytic filter, which converts the ozone back to oxygen."

Does it work in practice? Is Ozone effective at all? I believe Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and it's use in water treatment plants suggests it can have an effect. I chose the upgrade in the hope of reducing chemical use (for comfort purposes) and making water maintenance as painless as possible. The local dealer indicated based on anticipated load/use that we really didn't need it and not to expect a payback in chemical costs (which did not enter into the decision).

While it may not be popular to say, so much ozone especially one that was designed for a 20,000 gal pool and not a 500 gal spa may not be such a good thing. I have read where in Europe they are considering not allowing ozone in spas or regulating how much can be used. There are unanswered questions to both its true benefits and safety concerns.

I don't like the fact that there is no reliable field test for ozone which a typical spa owner can perform. I have read posts on other forums where lab technicians had access to high-end equipment and they found very low amounts of ozone in the water on a HotSpring system - which will put out to about 750 ppm.

Yet, most of our owners report rust colored stains near the return fitting - indicative of oxidation of metal in the water. And you can see an obvious reaction on the bottom of the cover and on the surface of the pillows in most tubs with a good ozone system. You can also smell the ozone if the system allows a buildup of ozone in the bathing area, and I have yet to find one which doesn't allow this to some degree - usually just when you first open the cover.

As far as a noticable difference, I have had users on both side of the issue: some had a system inadvertantly disconnected by a service technician and they were on the phone in a couple of days demanding a callback because the spa water was so far from normal. After having the system brought back on line, they were happy to report the water and water-care returned to normal.

Others have had the systems fail, they pulled the plug themselves and called in later to say they were not aware of any change in caring for their tub without it, so cancel the service call. I am sure that they were using a bit more chlorine, but since so many folks just toss in an unmeasured amount anyway, it is possible to change the dose from time to time and not even be aware of it.

I personally had a spa in my backyard for nine months which had never had the ozone generator installed. The injector was there, the small bubbles where there, but the ozone smell never was. HotSpring has just put in a small fitting wich mixed the water one last time just before the end of the 'reaction chamber' which in their case IS a hunk of tubing about then to twelve feet long, and I thought it was just doing a better job of taking care of off-gassing than the previous year. But a serial number search and a service bulletin later revealed that they had given up on the fitting, and my spa was not so equipped. I finally opened the door and found out my delivery guys had never put the generator in - they put the injector in so they could fill and start the spa, meaning to send the generator home with my son for him to install, but they never did...

I'm NOT saying I didn't notice any difference at all, but that I had no problem keeping the spa clear and safe with good 'ol Dichlor, all along thinking that the normal cover/pillow burning and smell had been designed out.

hi paul. i was at artic this week. heres what i liked. the tub seems very well made with good insulation and easy to fix. the cabinets are now wood not metal but only cedar that is a natural color. so if you want a grey looking tub you will not have this option. they make their own jets but i did not notice a large selection of jet choices but the jets are interchangeable same size and they cost about 12-15.00 about 1/2 of other companies. they have a very cool vibration sound system INSIDE the tub. you use a cd with mood music and its very interesting. they call it a sonic massage.the mood lighting is also very nice. the seats are very deep which is nice in cold weather since you will not feel the wind as much. they are very comfortable. many of the tubs offer air jets. this is different in that its almost like being in champagne instead of a jacuzzi like jet. i have an air tub in my bathroom and its alot of fun. many of their tubs have steps into the tub which is very helpful and can be used as a cool down seat. i was not interested in a lounger until i tried one. i see that the lengend extreme has a lounger with leg jets and air jets. those leg jets are so awesome on your thighs and calves. i think this is a very good product. but it is expensive. the cub with all options was priced at 7,700.00 with delievery and setup without tax adding 600+ and without the music/vibration system. i would have like to see more diverters to deliever power to individual seats. but it seems like a powerful tub. you need to wet test it. i liked the depth of the foot well. this tub was alittle too expensive for me and on my porch it would stand 42 inches high, i would not be able to open my casement windows. so i could not buy this tub. if any facts are wrong here i'm sorry, i am only going on what i was told and saw. also make sure to go to articspa.com for a coupon for a free upgrade on lights or whatever they are offering that month. this is a good buy for the money when you look at sundance,coleman. most of all wet test and get a dealer who has been in business for a long time incase you need help. robin new york

Not an owner, yet, but I've been lookin' around Massachusetts at different spas and the overall design and serviceability (read: I can probably fix it if I have to) of the Arctic line works for me. If you haven't already, get out there and check out the various other manufacturers' product. There are key differences, IMHO.

After several years of "hmmmmm'ing and haaaaaa'ing" over buying a tub, and researching different brands, i finally purchased an Arctic spa (Cub Designer Model). I am still awaiting my tub as i just ordered it (with a few extra options: forever floor, cedar bar, railing to get in and out since my daughter has mild cerebral palsy, ect). It does seem to be one of the more reputable companies, of which there are several out there. I have a few friends who own an arctic spa as well, and they had nothing but good things to say about thiers, including service they get from the local dealer. My inlaws have a different brand tub (full foam tub, unlike mine) and have had it for about a year and a half now and have had no problems and excellent service as well. What made me decide on an arctic spa wasn't the name, but input by close friends who have one, as well as the seating (i like it more than my inlaws tub), jets, and the staff at the local dealers to name a few things. Arctic spa does seem to be a better option in colder climates (northern ontario here), but like i said, my inlaws have a different brand and haven't had problems either, and thier electric bill didn't skyrocket (even after the severe cold snap we had last winter, that month the bill only went about $30 higher than normal, and the tub was used about an average of 1 hr per day, kept at 104F). The best impressions about Arctic spa for me were made by friends, like i said, but also the local dealer (a husband and wife team). They educated me (spoke more to the wife) about thier brand, why it was a good spa and without bad-mouthing other companies (the husband did kind of bite his lip when other brands were mentioned, but mostly kept his opinion to himself and let me make my own decision). I saw them at trade shows, home shows, and even at thier shop several times over 3 years asking tons of questions, and they kept being patient with me and answering everything. So overall from all my research, arctic spa is a reputable brand. But there are others out there just the same, see what you like and ask others about thier spa and how well thier local dealer treats them with regards to work, warranty, water testing, etc. Can't wait for my tub to arrive (just building my new deck now!). If you get an arctic spa, let me know how you like yours and how it runs, since i'm new, we can compare and maybe help out!

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a hot tub has been a very long time coming for me and I plunked down my deposit on Sunday for an Arctic Frontier Ultra tub. I intend to use BaquaSpa instead of the usual chlorine products and, while they were less than enthusiastic about my choice of water treatment, the folks at the Arctic dealer are familiar with BaquaSpa and promised to tutor me in its use.

Some of the most noticeable differences between the Arctic dealership staff and their competitors is the absence of badmouthing the competition and the lack of hardsell tactics. The folks at Arctic welcomed my endless litany of questions and never pressed me to make a decision. I get the sense that I can trust them.

Now that I've got the tub ordered I'm gathering info on accessories. Someone elsewhere on this board explained how he made an outdoor heated box in which to store warmed towels. I'm gonna make one, too.

Any other ideas?

I'm very jealous of you now smilinbare, lol. I really wanted to frontier, but didn't have enough room for it (have a very small lot, coulda made room but would have sacrificed my mature apple tree I love so much). Ended up going with the cub, perfect for my family though (wife, 2 little'uns and myself) and am loving it, as is my oldest daughter (almost 2, we use it theraputically since she has mild C.P. and it helps relax her muscles so we can do her stretches, we just keep the water temp a little lower when we know she's going in). In a few years, when we sell this house (the tub adds to the value, as it's a great starter home / retirement home, but we plan on expanding our family further) and buy a new one, the first thing i'll be doing is having a tub at the new house before i finish moving in. Let me know how you like the frontier when you get it, i never did get to wet test it (no point since i don't have the room for it, but did drool over it for awhile). Hope you enjoy your tub as much as i do mine, and seems like you are getting the same great service i did, and very similar sales . . . wonder if arctic trains thier dealers to be like this, or just lucky we both got good dealers? Well, winter is here, but it ain't keeping me indoors (enjoyed my morning smoke for the first time in years . . . we don't smoke in the house due to kids . . . but sitting in the tub having my morning coffee and smoke watching the sunrise, crisp, clear, calm air outside with a fresh dusting of snow on the ground . . . all these years i had no idea what i was missing by not owning a tub!).

Getting a hot tub has been a very long time coming for me and I plunked down my deposit on Sunday for an Arctic Frontier Ultra tub. I intend to use BaquaSpa instead of the usual chlorine products and, while they were less than enthusiastic about my choice of water treatment, the folks at the Arctic dealer are familiar with BaquaSpa and promised to tutor me in its use.

Some of the most noticeable differences between the Arctic dealership staff and their competitors is the absence of badmouthing the competition and the lack of hardsell tactics. The folks at Arctic welcomed my endless litany of questions and never pressed me to make a decision. I get the sense that I can trust them.

Now that I've got the tub ordered I'm gathering info on accessories. Someone elsewhere on this board explained how he made an outdoor heated box in which to store warmed towels. I'm gonna make one, too.

Any other ideas?

Congrats on the purchase. The frontier is a great design in a double lounge. We got to wet test it and it was one of the few lounges we didn't fight the float. We went away from the lounge and got the Tundra instead for other reasons. If I recall, the Frontier also has the raised shell. The headrests and seats all are designed such that the headrests are about 3 inches or so below the top of the shell. This helps keep the wind off of you even in the shallower seats. It's the same in the Tundra. I am guessing Arctic will keep that trend in any newer designs.

Yeah. That raised lip DID figure into our decision, too.

We debated about the Tundra, too, but ultimately we decided that it was too big for our needs. Most of my soaking will be solo with my partner joining me on weekends. Occasionally, a friend or two will join us.

You can bet that once we get the tub installed and up and running, I'll be back here to bug y'all with questions.

• 1 month later...

Yahoo!

Just in time for a snowy New Years Eve soak, our Arctic Frontier was delivered and wired up on Wednesday and we enjoyed our inaugural dip on Thursday night.

I'm in heaven!!!

Congrats! After we pop a few fireworks off a midnight, we're going for a quick soak. It's warm here in Missouri now (40 - 50F). Our December was cold (for us) and we had snow. I'm approaching three months, so it get's drained either tomorrow or Monday. Ahhhhhhh fresh water - can't wait.

Happy New Year All! Been just my wife and i (and oldest daughter) in our tub till tonight. I had a choice, new truck or a tub, went with the tub. I really needed the new truck, and my sister and brother in-law bugged me about getting a tub instead (asking what the gas mileage is, how it drives . . . ha ha), but after they came over for a soak and a few wobbly pops this new years, the comments changed to "yup, i think i'd rather drive a hot tub too" and talks of buying thier own now. Well, i'm relaxed and off to sleep, hope you all had a happy, safe new years that got ya all into some hot water.

Decided to take a break from soaking...;-)....and check back on this thread.

Last evening we had a bunch of friends over for food, spirits and soaks. The tub is a BIG hit! Everyone is really impressed with the tubbing experience. I took my last soak of the night at 11:30, closed 'er up and got back in this morning at 6:30 and then again around 1:30 in the early afternoon. Will be going out, again, at 7:30 soze I can close the tub down and be in the sack by 9:30 (work day tomorrow).

I'm lovin' it.

One thing they "fail to elaborate on" during the sales process is the maintenance part. But, I'm figuring that once I get it all down, it'll be a relative breeze.

Anyone else, here, doin' it with BaquaSpa?

After several years of "hmmmmm'ing and haaaaaa'ing" over buying a tub, and researching different brands, i finally purchased an Arctic spa (Cub Designer Model). I am still awaiting my tub as i just ordered it (with a few extra options: forever floor, cedar bar, railing to get in and out since my daughter has mild cerebral palsy, ect). It does seem to be one of the more reputable companies, of which there are several out there. I have a few friends who own an arctic spa as well, and they had nothing but good things to say about thiers, including service they get from the local dealer. My inlaws have a different brand tub (full foam tub, unlike mine) and have had it for about a year and a half now and have had no problems and excellent service as well.

Congrats on getting your new spa! It sounds like you've had a great experience with the company. Just out of curiosity... how much was the option of the "forever floor"? It sounds like a good idea.

Congrats on getting your new spa! It sounds like you've had a great experience with the company. Just out of curiosity... how much was the option of the "forever floor"? It sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sure about how much the forever floor cost as it was included as part of a package (regular price of tub plus a bunch of freebies such as the forever floor upgrade, cedar bar, bar stools, versa rail, etc). I think when i was looking before the forever floor upgrade was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $500 Cdn, and well worth it if you don't want to build a deck or pour concrete. They did, however, recommend patio blocks even if i had the forever floor without a deck or concrete (helps keep it level, and eventually even rolled fiberglass will decay if left on the ground, plus you ever see what happens to frozen ground when you leave even a bit of insulation on it such as a pile of leaves? You get a nice ditch come springtime.)

My dealer orders only the forever floor. It's going to be good against rodents and other pests also, making is useful regardless the surface on which you place your spa.

I'm bromine, not Baqua. Too much negative press on it. If you have it and like it, you should spread some good about it. I know some people develop the "Baqua cough" and that it's more expensive and I'm not sure as effective than bromine or chlorine. Other than that, no experience with it.