Blowing Fuses and Pump High Speed Only

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone, 

I seem to be having an issue similar to the issue stated here. I have a Gecko Y Series model IN.YE-5-H5.5. Everything has been running smoothly for about a year until last week. The system flashed the FLO error and would only pump on low speed. After doing some digging I thought that the capacitor on the motor was blown so I replaced that. Same issue was still showing with no high speed on the pump. I pulled out the volt meter and everything was reading properly for 240V going into the system, but I found that the 20A fuse for the pump was blown. I replaced the fuse with a known good fuse and flipped the breaker, the pump made a whining noise then the fuse blew again. Everything was programed from the factory since the spa pack and pump were bought together. Any assistance in what I should look at next would be very helpful. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, hosa1234 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I seem to be having an issue similar to the issue stated here. I have a Gecko Y Series model IN.YE-5-H5.5. Everything has been running smoothly for about a year until last week. The system flashed the FLO error and would only pump on low speed. After doing some digging I thought that the capacitor on the motor was blown so I replaced that. Same issue was still showing with no high speed on the pump. I pulled out the volt meter and everything was reading properly for 240V going into the system, but I found that the 20A fuse for the pump was blown. I replaced the fuse with a known good fuse and flipped the breaker, the pump made a whining noise then the fuse blew again. Everything was programed from the factory since the spa pack and pump were bought together. Any assistance in what I should look at next would be very helpful. 

Thanks

Did you check the incoming connections? That was the main problem I had that led to everything else. One of the hots was a tiny bit loose and fried the board in that area. I ended up replacing the pump and entire board because of it.

3 hours ago, hosa1234 said:

Hey @Robinthemountains

I did check the incoming connections and they are all solid. I also used a multimeter to check and make sure it was getting the required 240 volts. 

Did you also check the connections for the pump, both at the board and at the pump, and check the high-speed relay on the board?

23 hours ago, hosa1234 said:

system flashed the FLO error and would only pump on low speed

If this is the pump that is associated with heat and filtering it should not give a flow error if the pump is running on low. 

Remove filters until issue is fixed. Take them out of the equation.

If the pump is running on low and you have the flow error is it possible something has made it's way into the face of the pump?

Remove the dust cover at the back end of the motor and use a flat head screwdriver to spin the shaft of the motor. It should spin freely.

23 hours ago, hosa1234 said:

but I found that the 20A fuse for the pump was blown

There should be 2 green SC30 fuses...F1 and F3 These 2 fuses protect the pumps. Was it one of these 2 fuses that blew?

The smaller (orange) 20 amp fuse...F2 powers the circuit board so if it is blowing this fuse then your issue might be something internal like a fused/burnt relay and it is sending power to both speeds of the pump at the same time... resulting with a loud hard buzzing noise usually followed by a blown fuse or spa shut down.

Let us know results

• Like 1

Hey @CanadianSpaTech

It is the 20 amp fuse that continues to blow. I am waiting on a new fuse to be shipped to me to check the pin out at the pump to make sure it is receiving the correct voltage. The system does run on low speed without the flow error, but once it tries to heat up or run the filter on high speed, the system does not run and provides the flow error. The pump does move freely. I am beginning to think there is something else blown on the control board, but will update once the new fuse arrives. 

Hope you ordered several fuses just in case. You should be able to disconnect (power off) everything that connects the heater tube to the circuit board (heater connections sensors) and remove the pack from around the heater tube leaving the heater tube in place as to not have to drain the spa. Once the main body of the spa pack is removed you can remove the dozen or so screws off the back of the pack and then see the backside of the circuit board to look for burnt or dark areas...usually around the relays. 

Let us know results and if you pull the board post a pic of the backside and if there is burnt areas I can tell you if it is repairable

• Like 1

Hey @CanadianSpaTech

Here is what I have found. I took the circuit board out and there are no burnt or dark areas. Everything on the board looks fine. 

I put a new 20AMP fuse in and checked the pin out for the pump. High speed and low speed are both showing the required 240 volts. 

I am beginning to think there is a programing issue. When the system starts it is showing 363 - r 5 - L 3. It is a YE-5 with 1 Pump 220V (3.01.0 HP), 4.5A Blower 110V, and Balboa CRT Ozonator Kit. On page 36 of the manual (http://www.geckoalliance.com/Documents/yseries_techbook_a_en.pdf) it is showing that the fuse (F2) which is the 20AMP fuse that keeps blowing is the low speed fuse, but the system still runs on low speed when that fuse is blown. High speed is the only thing that is not working. I am thinking the system is trying to run the high speed on fuse (F2) and low speed on fuse (F1) which is causing the overload. 

Any help would be appreciated! I have worked on other systems before but never one with this complicated of a programing system. 

FK this is why I hate when folks piggyback on other peoples thread. Just spent 20 mins reading back to the beginning of page 1 only to get to "I have a similar issue"...but with different components, voltages and spa pack. It's confusing

So lets start at the beginning...Post a photo of your circuit board so we can see how the wiring and other connections are done. 

Is pump 1 plugged into A3?

4 hours ago, hosa1234 said:

it is showing 363 - r 5 - L 3

https://www.spaguts.com/Documents/QRC_YE-5_5.5KW_SOFTWARE_363Rev2.pdf

363 is software number, r5 is revision number, LL3 is the lower level programming number or "Standard Confg #"... LL3 does not have a blower and looks like it should be LL5 if your has a blower. Different revision number but all I could find and should be good for what you have going on. Does your blower currently work on LL3?

but the system still runs on low speed when that fuse is blown. High speed is the only thing that is not working.

I am thinking the system is trying to run the high speed on fuse (F2) and low speed on fuse (F1) which is causing the overload. 

Was the wiring ever disconnected from the pump? Perhaps the high speed and low speed red and black wires are backwards at the pump and maybe that's why it will run on low speed with a blown low speed fuse. Post photos of the wiring at the back of the pump and also the white sticker with the wiring schematic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @CanadianSpaTech,

Thanks again for all of your help. This spa is now running without any issues. The high speed and low speed wires were crossed connected to the pump. From the schematic on the pump it showed Red is Low and Black is High (see attached picture). From the spa pack Red is High and Black is Low. Once it was wired properly it started and is running without blowing fuses or having any issues. I don't know why it ran for an entire year without any issues, but I am just happy it is working now. Hope this helps someone else in the future. 

Thanks for everyones help!20210124_130138.thumb.jpg.929e7bb9101598303454e71d44fdf8e8.jpg20210124_134216.thumb.jpg.e3031106f68c47fab9645db970de2bb3.jpg20210124_134216.thumb.jpg.e3031106f68c47fab9645db970de2bb3.jpg

• Like 1