Catalina cl-750 mariah

I have a line on a Catalina cl-750 hot tub. I can't find very much about it. Wondering if anyone had any information like when it was made, manual etc.

It seems to have a radio and fibre optic lights and looks like the cl-750 on this German page. 

http://www.catalinaspas.de/cl_serie/index.shtml

I think it was made in eastern Canada.

Also how well would it do in Edmonton, Alberta winters?  Possible -40C.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Catalina Spas is based in Johnson City, TN 100 miles East of Knoxville and 25 miles South of Bristol. 

https://catalinaspas.com/about-us/

Funny how they fail to mention they are an LPI, Inc brand

https://www.poolspanews.com/business/lpi-acquires-catalina-spas_o

OP, having looked at and researched Catalina last year when shopping for my nice tub, walk away.  You can get better tub from Nordic or Marquis for the same price as you'd be paying for that Catalina.  If you have any doubts, do more research on the LPI brand in general

5 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Catalina Spas is based in Johnson City, TN 100 miles East of Knoxville and 25 miles South of Bristol. 

https://catalinaspas.com/about-us/

I sent him your way not because of where they are made but where he lives and the temps he deals with (-40c). I figured you would know more about those scrotum shrinking temps than I. I guess we should ask @north_of_boston.

4 hours ago, ratchett said:

Funny how they fail to mention they are an LPI, Inc brand

https://www.poolspanews.com/business/lpi-acquires-catalina-spas_o

OP, having looked at and researched Catalina last year when shopping for my nice tub, walk away.  You can get better tub from Nordic or Marquis for the same price as you'd be paying for that Catalina.  If you have any doubts, do more research on the LPI brand in general

It's a used spa. 

Ok. Catalina is a mid range spa. As I recall, they don't have a great deal of insulation so will run alot to stay hot in extreme cold and so cost alot to use. If you get it you might want to consider adding some insulation.

Stereos and spas don't mix. It is just a matter of time.

31 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

I sent him your way not because of where they are made but where he lives and the temps he deals with (-40c). I figured you would know more about those scrotum shrinking temps than I. I guess we should ask @north_of_boston.

It's a used spa. 

Ok. Catalina is a mid range spa. As I recall, they don't have a great deal of insulation so will run alot to stay hot in extreme cold and so cost alot to use. If you get it you might want to consider adding some insulation.

Stereos and spas don't mix. It is just a matter of time.

Thanks for the responses guys. 
The insulation looked "okay" from what I could see, the tub itself had what seemed to be a lot of insulation on it  but nothing on the panels. 
it is a trade-in tub and they are asking about 1500 .
but they don't know if anything is wrong with it or not. they will fill it up and test things for a couple more bucks and then i could decide whether or not to buy it.

Just not sure how much I should put into a used tub I guess.

The price isn't bad, but have them run it. You could be looking at much more than it costs to fix it depending on what is wrong. And "a few bucks more" is bs, you can always negotiate a used tub. Have them test it, show it to you running with side panels off, then make your offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daves_hottub said:

I think i will give them a call then and make sure they will let me see it running. What would be my biggest "red-flag" to walk away?

Multiple leaks not in the equipment area. Cracked pipes. Non-functional equipment or controls. 

Check it out and come back to discuss what you find. At that price you can expect some issues, but some are more expensive than others. A new cover is likely and will run about $350. New controls can be much more, as can pumps. Your ability to do repairs yourself is also a big factor.

not sure if they will go to the trouble of hooking it all up etc. and then let me go away to think about it some more but I will see what I can do.

I am fairly comfortable that I could do the repairs it's just how much time/$$$s I would need to put in.

If I can verify that both pumps, the blower and the control panel work and that it isn't spraying water everywhere I might just have to bit the bullet on it.

You are probably right on the new cover. It does come with one and it doesn't seem to be to water logged so I could wait a bit on that I think.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, RDspaguy said:

I am not sure that they have a choice. But if everything seems to be working I'd say it's a good deal.

haha, I know they can't stop me from walking away. just don't want to have any bad blood. especially if I am going to just turn around and get it. :)

I picked up the tub yesterday and started to fill it up.

Found the first issue, big crack on the elbow coming off of one of the pumps.

I have seen a couple of products:

Plast-aid  80400 

WELD-ON 810 2-Part PVC Repair Adhesive

That look like they could repair the cracks, do they work or should I just get replacement pieces?

Both aren't that easy to find though, is there something else if it is worth repairing?

• Sad 1

Any repair product is a band-aid at best. If it is on the pressure side of the pump it won't work at all. I would just replace it.

But pvc doesn't crack on its own, it was likely frozen and you will have other problems as well. You should have insisted on them removing the sides and checked for multiple leaks. I suspect you will have the bad blood before you are done.

• Like 1

Is it possible the pipe got twisted when the tub was moved or over tightened? 
This cover was actually off when I looked at it but the crack was on the underside.

But it was also at the top of run, and to me if it was water that froze then it would have at least also cracked on the low side.

20200703_092723.jpg

20200703_092804.jpg

You got taken...Return it. If you insist on moving forward repair it with hew parts. This will likely not be the only cracked plumbing you find. That part is ABOVE the pump so the pump wet end froze as well and there is a good chance the wet end will fail/leak. It is shameful that a dealer would even attempt to sell that spa. They knew 100% it was a frozen spa with issues. What store in Edmonton sold it to you?

It was a trade-in and I knew there would be some repairs needed, for the moment I am going to assume they didn't know about the freezing and see how bad it is when I replace these parts. If once I replace that there is a whole lot more then I will escalate things.

I have done a visual inspection of all the pipes I can see as well as feeling for cracks and haven't found any others yet, won't know for sure until I fill it again and turn it on though.

I am surprised that the bottom of the pipe didn't crack as well.

They have been around for a very long time so I don't think (hope that)  they would risk their reputation on this so I will give them a chance to respond before I put out their name.

I agree with @CanadianSpaTech, they couldn't have not known. Freeze damage is the worst thing that you can have in a spa.

The pump will likely be damaged, as will the heater and lower suction pipes at least. If you are lucky it was only partly filled and did not freeze jets or manifolds. Does it have any jets in the footwell? 

From my experience (25 years) fixing them, you will drain and refill that spa AT LEAST 3 times before you complete all the repairs. Some won't even start leaking until the water is hot. So fix it, fill it, find more leaks, drain it, maybe stand it on its side, fix it... Your weekends are booked through September. 

You'll recall...

On 6/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, RDspaguy said:

Multiple leaks not in the equipment area. Cracked pipes. Non-functional equipment or controls.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:30 PM, Daves_hottub said:

got to verify the pumps and the control panel all work , didn't get to verify heater or check for leaks but it looked okay so i think I will go ahead.

And my favorite...

On 6/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, Daves_hottub said:

am fairly comfortable that I could do the repairs it's just how much time/$$$s

I hope that was true and not wishful thinking born of a complete lack of understanding of spa repair.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. 😉

I would give @CanadianSpaTechthe info. As an industry pro in the area he may know them. Shame is a powerful motivator. And they are not a used car lot, there was no trade-in, they just removed it when they delivered the new one. Probably after charging the owner several hundred $ to tell him that it would cost thousands to fix and he should just get a new one.

You got screwed. Sorry. Should have insisted on seeing it full and running with sides off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

As an industry pro in the area he may know them....

LOL

Toronto to St.Louis....760 miles

Toronto to Edmonton... 2.053 miles

They say if you only have a week to live go to Edmonton...it will feel like a year...Go Leafs!

3 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

LOL

Toronto to St.Louis....760 miles

Toronto to Edmonton... 2.053 miles

They say if you only have a week to live go to Edmonton...it will feel like a year...Go Leafs!

Sorry.😂 I got the impression it was your neck of the woods when you asked for the name. I never even checked a map. But still, you might know them... there's only a half dozen of you guys up there, right? (That's 6 for you metric folks🤣)

Who are the "Leafs"? A sports team? Hockey, I am guessing? I was never a fan, but I did work on the Blues tubs at the arena and their practice facility, as well as a half-dozen or so of their private tubs for a few years. Bernie Federko (who owned the oldest Sundance spa I ever saw), Brett Hull, Al MacInnis, Chris Pronger, Tony Twist, and a few others I can't remember. One Russian guy whose name I never could pronounce as it didn't have enough vowels. I got box seats a few times, the food was good.

I'll never forget the time I was in the pit working on a circ pump replacement when my vice grips came loose and water was spraying everywhere. I jump up cussing to find the whole team standing behind me (they snuck in after practice) butt-naked in a line. I said "Damn! Can't you f***ers wear a towel or something?". They all thought it was hilarious. I caught **** about that for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2